How do you measure a V shaped chisel?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, i have been using a set of cheapy chisels for ages now, they cost about £5 for a 6 piece carving tool set. It gets the job done for what i need, however the blades come loose after a while.

I only use the small V shaped chisel and was thinking of splashing out on a nicer chisel that will last. Firstly i need to know how do i measure the V shaped chisel blade? Is it the length of one side of the V cutting blade?

Also, any recommendations on good woodcarving chisels?

Thanks,

Calv.

I was looking at this one, i guess it's not majorly expensive but looks pretty solid. Has anyone any experience with this make?

Sorby v-shaped woodcarving chisel

The main site says it is made from one piece of steel so at least that would solve the blade coming loose problem.

Calv.

The ad is a little ambiguous but it appears to me that this is not a carving tool at all but a parting tool for use with a lathe.

Mark

Calv, I've always understood you measure a V-tool like a gouge; across the width. I'd be happy to know otherwise if I've been deluding myself. 8-[ And fwiw, the Sorby seems to be a micro tool, judging by Sorby's site.

Cheers, Alf

When I had a dabble at this a few years ago I had an excellent set from Ashley Isles which were very good. Also Henry Taylor make decent carving gouges and chisels, also the Swiss ones (not even going to attempt to spell the name, begins with a P tho') come highly recommended - Rob

Rob,
that would be Pfeil. Not sure where to get them though as the Missus gets hers from a chap that visits her evening class.

Website here

edit
A further smooch around that site finds that Tilgear are UK distributors.

edit#2 and are also available from www.craft-supplies.co.uk

Andy

Back