How do you know you're getting old...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was explaining to my grandchildren whilst driving them to school this morning, that when I was their age, I had to walk everywhere, as grandpa rarely gave me a lift. Grace asked if he actually had a car, or did I mean horses for a horse and cart. I didn’t think I was that old, they obviously have a different opinion 😂, so this makes sense I’m only 61
I grew up in a rural area - and can still vividly remember the excitement in the village when a farmer brought the first tractor into the parish. Can also remember happy hours, to and fro, sitting on a Wesh Cob mowing or ploughing with a bit of baler twine to hang onto. They used to bring the threshing machine around with its traction engine - but replacing a reliable horse? Horror!

Everyday Electronics magazine and spent a lot of pocket money at the local component store.
More reminders of what once was, there were many magazines for the various hobbies and most with projects for you to build, I can remember clearly getting Everyday Electronics and there was also practical electronics as well as many for the radio hams. I can see why electronics is maybe not so popular now and that is because we only had through hole components and they were more chunky and easy to work with, now with surface mount and components being much smaller it can make things much more difficult for the hobbyist. This reminded me of the component shop I used to visit in Hornchurch, the owner said that if I could remember the resister colour codes then he would let me have these for free which helped, but I also used to salvage components from old Tv's and radio's.

Another reminder are the chaps who would come round and repair your Tv carrying their leather tool bag, they were essential really because the Tvs were always going wrong.

More reminders of what once was, there were many magazines for the various hobbies and most with projects for you to build, I can remember clearly getting Everyday Electronics and there was also practical electronics as well as many for the radio hams. I can see why electronics is maybe not so popular now and that is because we only had through hole components and they were more chunky and easy to work with, now with surface mount and components being much smaller it can make things much more difficult for the hobbyist. This reminded me of the component shop I used to visit in Hornchurch, the owner said that if I could remember the resister colour codes then he would let me have these for free which helped, but I also used to salvage components from old Tv's and radio's.

Another reminder are the chaps who would come round and repair your Tv carrying their leather tool bag, they were essential really because the Tvs were always going wrong.
Aeromodeller for me, esp the Vic smeed plans!😃😃😃

When a little younger i used to love military modeling building dioramas , A lot of the time was taken up with research mags ,library and chatting to vets to get the campaign badges right and the colours it was nt just make a plastic model

Back