How do you know you're getting old...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OOH! An Allen scythe - haven't heard of one in 'a coon's age' (Davy Crockett said). When I was 15 or 16 [circa 1960] I had a p/t job gardening for a retired major, one of my chores was to mow a small meadow (now a housing estate of about 10 bunglehouses ) with a 'trusty' Allen, cutting down thistles, nettles, & docks etc, which horses wouldn't eat.
I still have one at my house in France. Very powerful little beasts. I remember once I decided to drive it back into the shed instead of pushing it. Misjudged and cracked the door frame when the wheel hit it. It will probably remain there as I'm no longer able to go out due to the wife having Alzheimers so the house will be up for sale soon:cry:

When your spending money had proper silver in it and being so very happy when your dad brought home a little packet from the pub as a treat that consisted of 2 cheese biscuits a bit of cheese and 2 silverskin pickles that cost 3p (I think)

Screenshot_20220328-182310.png

Mike Jhn said "Mohair suits and spend most of my weekend evenings in the West End, Wardour and Carnaby Street mostly"

Aaah - Two tone Tonic Mohair trousers (with turnups), Fred Perry or Ben Sherman shirt, Squire shoes and Harrington bomber jacket or Crombie in the winter. A weekend millionaire!

I was explaining to my grandchildren whilst driving them to school this morning, that when I was their age, I had to walk everywhere, as grandpa rarely gave me a lift. Grace asked if he actually had a car, or did I mean horses for a horse and cart. I didn’t think I was that old, they obviously have a different opinion 😂, so this makes sense I’m only 61

Totaly agree not only thriving retail sector but Exchange and Mart like ebay and Wish but in paper form and in Manchester electrical army surplus stores could get all components for amateur radio building gave me a good grounding
Do you still have a radio licence? I have kept mine although been inactive for years. I wonder how many others on here have them too?
I cut my teeth on Everyday Electronics magazine and spent a lot of pocket money at the local component store.
I work with RF and have used or repaired equipment from most of the manufacturers mentioned including EEV, Plessey, etc

Being old, is when stars who were famous when you were a child, are now only a year or two older than you.

Do you still have a radio licence? I have kept mine although been inactive for years. I wonder how many others on here have them too?
I cut my teeth on Everyday Electronics magazine and spent a lot of pocket money at the local component store.
I work with RF and have used or repaired equipment from most of the manufacturers mentioned including EEV, Plessey, etc
Strange thing , Years ago i bought a ZX81 computer first Sinclair foray into computers took ages to programe and when finished after about 2 days a 6 pixel long white line could be navigated around the screen anyway digressing , One evening i had my headphones pluged into ZX when i picked up a local lad on his CB radio sadly in those days could not plug in a mic would of been interesting to reply

Your wife has a list of all your tools and how much to sell them for when you are gone. (permanently, not just out for the day)

Yea but i have got a list of all her shoes and make up if she go s first (world cruise worth )

I'll be poor if she goes first - she isn't into fancy clothes, shoes or make up ......

..... which means that I get to have nice tools, cars, bikes and watches while she's still alive and I can enjoy them ;)

I had one for a car radio once upon a time, 'when I was sitting comfortable'. :)

Getting a spam email from some online seller and not knowing what most of the stuff is even used for. :eek:

Back