How do you get away with it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Having just visited Philly's Aladdins cave of a workshop and come away pondering on how to rob a bank, I was wondering on the drive home how he gets away with it vis a vis Der Management; SWMBO; The War Office; 'Er Indoors etc.

I personally try to bar her from my 'shop entirely and get stuff I have bought into it in the dead of night, pleading a weak bladder if she wakes up!
If she notices it later on a trip to the deep freeze, (now theres a thought!), I airily dismiss her with 'Oh thats been there ages!

It almost never works.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

If this is in the wrong bit, my apologies
Martin[/b]

Ahh, you have to have a STRATEGY!

! When we got married, I already had a (very small) workshop, 8'x6' garden shed. I also had some money from the sale of a house.

But I had no house, and no job. She had both. :D

So the deal was she would go out to work and earn the money, and I would stay at home and spend it.

In the last decade I have made most of the furniture in our house, run a small business (IT), written a few articles. At the beginning I bought stuff regularly, a bit here and a bit there, but for the last several years I have bought very little. Replaced a few, upgraded, but no space for more. It's just maintenance. And I have a separate woody account, too. Anything I get from the woodwork or writing goes into it, and anything I buy comes out of it, it means I don't have to ask for pocket money. The woodwork doesn't make me any money, but these days it doesn't cost me any either.

Cheers
Steve

Having just visited Philly's Aladdins cave of a workshop and come away pondering on how to rob a bank, I was wondering on the drive home how he gets away with it vis a vis Der Management; SWMBO; The War Office; 'Er Indoors etc.

Can't speak for Philly but it might help to start thinking like a woman :shock: you know- a bit of reverse pyschology. Every time she wants something made, you tell her that not having the right tools gives you a massive headache and you can't do it there and then, but if......(substitute shoes/clothes for appropriate tool).
:wink:

Ike...who can't spell psy..phsy..doh!

I have a real problem with buying new tools. I tell my beloved I could do with a .......... (it doesn't seem to matter what it is) and she just says "if you want one just get one". I just can't cope anymore :cry: . I'm going to Harrogate this weekend and I said I didn't know whether to get a shoulder plane (I've some tennons to do) or a jack plane for general use. All I got was "you buy one and I'll buy you the other" :shock: . Does anyone else have this problem? Can anyone give me any help. (and I don't need anyone to look after my tools and no you can't swap wives).
John with a rapidly filling workshop!!!!

When I was looking at buying at tablesaw, I thought I would spend about €500 but then I saw the EB PKF 255 at 5 times the price!
My wife said "If you need it, get it" :D I love my wife :p

Funny that, 'cos I have the same 'problem'. But here's the clincher, I've got so much stuff I need more space. Guess what?...when I mumbled on about extending the workshop, she just said "how much? (no, not HOW MUCH!!) "Will two hundred be enough". If you need any more, I'll pay for it.

What a sweetie!
:D

To be fair, my wife rarely asks how much tools cost - just says to get it if we can afford it

ohh, and she remembers these little purchases when she needs a new coat, shoes, car, dress.........

John

I have the same problem, HID's will even do the ordering while I'm away and let me open the packages when I get home. I just have to keep mentioning what I need a few times. You won't beleive what she bought me at the show, even though she didn't go she spent more on my tools than I did.

Martin

I've had the pleasue of visiting Philly's WS as well ans have to say mine pales into insignificance, although in the next 10 years I should be there.

Ummm I feel a new table saw coming on, can't remember its name Philly.

COME ON YOU GUYS, WHAT ARE YOU A MAN OR MOUSE? PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN AND TELL THE WIFE THAT YOU ARE GOING TO BUY WHAT YOU WANT WHEN YOU WANT. AND IF SHE DOES NOT LIKE IT TELL HER THAT SHE BETTER GET HER buttocks OUT AND GET A SECOND JOB, SO THAT SHE CAN EARN SOME MORE MONEY.

Then if she still does not like it, you better wake up from your dream before she kicks your backside, and bans you from your workshop altogether.

Seriously if you want to buy that new tool then you have got to think ahead. If you see a nice piece of furniture that she may want in one of the magazines, then leave this page open on the kitchen table. When she mentions it, then you go into the "Love To" mode, and with a sharp in take of breath tell her that you would love to make it for her but it is not possible without such and such tool.

Regards

Woody

Philly":2n5u15zk said:
Xcaliber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Watch out, Philly's having his one of his King Arthur moments.
eek.gif

It's not a solution for most, but I've found being the nominal SWMBO in the equation works really well...
whistling.gif

Cheers, Alf

Firsly, get stuff delivered to work. It might only be sandpaper and bits and bobs being delivered - but it'll be noticed. You know it's not tools, but to most SWMBO's it's just more money spent on "WW stuff".

Secondly, you need to prime your good lady, take her to some friends houses who you know have massive workshops full of equipement. Get a tour round for both of you (and keep pointing out what you could make "if only I had one of those......"

Thirdly, sell some old rubbish in the loft/garage/whereever, on ebay etc, to raise funds. Think of all the fads you been through, electric guitars, tennis rackets, bicycles etc. Sell them, and put the money towards new tools.

Finally, I sat down with my SWMBO and we made a decision that I'd spend all my bonuses from work on "WW Items", for the period of approx 1 year. After that, I'd switch priorities to other things like saving up to replace the car etc. I have thus completely kitted out the workshop. Do you have anything similar? A little cash-flow you can redirect? Alternatively, price up a large DIY project including your tools, then get a builder to qoute, then get the tools, and "find" you suddenly have no time to do it!

Adam

Alf":1x105ki7 said:
....the nominal SWMBO in the equation works really well...

Hi Alf, you must excuse me again because I am new in this forum and I don't know some terms which you use. For instance, I have understood that SWMBO is concerned to our wife, but what does it mean every single letter?
However I have the same problem of all with my wife.

My wife is as understanding as CYC's and Big John's. I came in from the workshop a few weeks ago, turning the air blue with my cursing of my cheap circular saw having spent what seemed like hours battling to get a few pieces of MDF cut to size.

'Why don't you just order that Festool saw you've been wanting for ages?' says my wife

:shock:

I had saved around £300 by not going to Tools 2004 (flights, hotels, car hire etc. etc.) so it took all of 1 nanosecond to decide that she was right :D

NeilCFD

Let SWMBO dream up some huge project.... next to impossible to execute with your current tooling... you gotta practice the pained expression, c/w the......honest... I've tried to do (insert technique) with the tools I have.. but they're simply not up to it.... I need a (insert suitable dream tool)...

best if ya don't make too long a list at any one time.... a little.... often... works....
just dinna forget to stuff the phone book down the back o the jeans if she's in ass whoppin mood....

:wink:

You mean you let your SWMBO know you are doing woodwork :?: :?: :shock:
There's the problem right there, you see.
Mine thinks I run a reasonably successful IT business from the "shed". :wink:

Back