How do you fold up bandsaw blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fred55

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm at the point of giving up - when they arrive the band blades are nicely folded into three coils once I change blades they wont go back - they must be a knack to it but I don't have it. At the moment I have them hanging from nails; scratches and cuts on hands and forearms ? and two kinked blade since I trapped them in a vice. Any ideas on how to fold up band blades !

1 Wear gloves.
2 Trap the blade with your foot at 6 o'clock and hold it in your hands at 2 and 10 o'clock, palms upwards, teeth away from you.
3 Rotate your wrists inwards. The top of the blade will start to bend towards you. Your hands have moved from the position of presenting a tray to that of holding a steering wheel.
4 Continue to rotate your wrists until you are in the position of riding a bike. The top of the blade will have tucked itself right underneath.
5 Lower your left hand, and then your right on top of it.
6 You have a folded blade.

Years ago, was with son-in-law in a DiY store in the USA and one of the assistants was waving an unfolded bandsaw blade around and asking what to do with it. Offered to help, and just for once, it folded up first try. Assistant was very impressed, but we still didn't get any discount on purchases :(

Thanks for the suggested video it worked - still had to bring the bands into the study and watch with youtube playing, the 7/8th thicker band was a fighter but its now away. Now I want some stain for a light oak table it flicked. Thanks again.

KevM":1ueimxfc said:
What Steve said!
Another video - also showing you how to uncoil safely
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WUiEJEZMTc

Edit: You might want to use your kinked blades for practice.

Jeepers, that must be some bandsaw !

I have an even easier way. Take the blade outside, remove any tie-wraps and hurl the blade away from you onto the grass.

I hold them at 3 and 9 one hand thumb up one hand thumb down palm inwards, and push with your thumbs and rotate your wrists an bring your hands together, and it just coils up.

Easer to show than explain!

Pete

Having a little trouble with this one :roll:

images-1_zps6741b69e.jpg

You are trying to fold it with midgets!

:wink:

Pete

Back