How do you do it?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I find that I rarely use the router and Leigh for dovetails these days, prefering to hand-cut (not too good though :D )

How about you lot?

Router with template? Rat? Table? hand? other?

If hand cut, how do you get rid of the waste?

canna say I've explored dovetails (yet) past my first half ass'd attempt with a jig.. I'm gearing up to do them by hand..

as for the waste....I'd probably use a dustpan n broom :p

I use a Festo VS500, with a Bosch POF800 ACE - in fact I am about to do another five drawers this morning. I bought the VS500 relatively cheaply, it was an ex demo and the VS600 had just been released. It's quick to use (just need's a little setting up) and cuts both sides of the joint at the same time. A problem with type is that it is not possible to vary the dovetail distances independently; of course you can always purchase different templates at an extra cost! The next time round I will go for model that will allow variable distances something like a Trend or Leigh.

Had one of those cheapo far-eastern jigs a few years ago. Think it's still aroundgathering dust somewhere. Rubbish!

I'm now a dedicated bandsaw dovetailer. Wedge aginst the fence for tails and a little sloping rest at the same angle for the pins. Cut the waste out with a coping saw and clean up to the cutting guage line with a paring chisel.

Cheers
Scott

I am still a leigh user,
i have just completed 10 drawers and they would have taken ages if i did them by hand.
I probobly wouldnt have the same consistency if i did by hand either
I can do them by hand but i prefer the leighs speed if doing more than a couple at a time

Ian

Depends - if just doing a few corners (like for a cabinet or summats), then by hand using veritas dovetail guides + jap saw + piercing saw for bulk waste removal + chisel(s)

If doing a stack of them, like a bank of drawers, then 'rat.

Ages since I cut any dovetails at all. :( Mainly, I'm ashamed to say, on the 'Rat, but my hand DTs are improving so the plan is to choose that option more often. Trouble is the 'Rat's DTs have a pretty nice appearance so the incentive to hand cut is largely removed. Removing the waste; coping saw down the middle and out to the corners.

Cheers, Alf

Old Trend jig with Bosch pof500 router

I have bought a Stotts Template from Axminster, but not had the tuit to use it yet. :oops:

Tony,

I've never cut any in anger (for a project), but have done a little practice.

I cut them by hand with an old Disston backsaw, and removed most of the waste with a coping saw. Cleaned up with chisels, and, once put together, finished with a plane.

I managed to cut very narrow pins, which, I suspect, would be impossible with a router. Narrow pins, for me a least, look attractive, and the ability to cut them was a small feather in my cap.

Jeremy

I cut by hand as I do not have any other means, using a Jap Saw and choping/paring the waste away with a chisel :oops: Didn't think of using a coping saw for the waste :oops:

Bean

Bean

I graduated from clearing all waste away by chisel only a few months ago and now love the coping saw method. Watch out for blade size on coping saws, you will probably need a jewellery blade or similar.
Our local B&Q have suitable blades :wink:

I think that the coping saw method is more efficient than chopping, and has less room for disaster. However, in his videos, Rob Cosman uses and recommends a fret saw, because of its finer blade.

There's one part of the usual coping/fret saw technique, which, I think, is unhelpful. Many, including Cosman, advocate putting the c/f/ saw down the DT saw kerf, and sawing along the base line until reaching the other saw kerf, all in one pass. I found that doing this was risky. I found that it was much safer to make one coping cut in the middle of the waste and towards one DT saw kerf, and then repeat in the other direction. Does that make sense? I can't use a 'photo at the moment, but I'll try to post one at some point.

Edit:oops, just seen that Alf's already decsribed that :oops: . I need more coffee...

Jeremy

I had a fixed template jig - not impressed, played with my sister's Leigh and impressed but have just started to use my new Incra and very impressed. Have tried a few hand cut dovetails but alas, I'm a gadget man :D

Jeremy, it bears repetition. :D Those blooming fretsaw blades are too slow for me. Plus you keep the corners of your tails, or rather between the tails, nice and crisp. Rob Cosman's video and demo helped me beyond measure with DTs but that fretsaw affectation drives me nuts! :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Rob Cosman video is superb :) I am hoping to see his advanced dovetailing vid in the near future :wink:

Jeremy, please do post pictures of your technique. I curently do the same as the Cosman video (even though I only saw it for the first time on Friday)

By the way, unlike Cosman, I have to test fit first :wink:

I am afraid that the last time i did a dovetail was errr more years than i can remember back at school . And have been working with metal ever since only just started with wood after taking early retirement the video sounds like something i could do with where would i get it from and any advice on a magazine not to technical for a beginner would be most helpfull . And should i look for some sort of leasons
many thanks

Back