How do you do it ? (Poll)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To Machine or Not to Machine ?

• Do you cut your joints by hand

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Do You cut your joints with a machine

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Do you use machines and by hand

Votes: 33 62.3%

• Total voters

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how most people cut the joints such as dovetails mortice and tenons, mitres etc etc.

Whilst machines are a fast way of doing it and have place in production line enviroment, there seems to be something more satisfying doing it with hand tools...So what about every one else how do you do it ?

I've joined two timber frames using nought but hand tools but then I am an ejit. :?

I try to do most things by hand because I like it and like to learn. All I do power tool wise is chainsawing, bandsaw big ripping and forstner bit pillar drilling. Everything else I do is proper Underhill; there ain't a Norm in sight. :)

Richard T":1felf79a said:
I've joined two timber frames using nought but hand tools but then I am an ejit. :?

I try to do most things by hand because I like it and like to learn. All I do power tool wise is chainsawing, bandsaw big ripping and forstner bit pillar drilling. Everything else I do is proper Underhill; there ain't a Norm in sight. :)

Being a newby to this wood lark I find I make the same pile of shavings using both methods , it just takes me longer with hand tools :) and I enjoy it more.

By the way Richard the plane is now in fine fettle after your Sharp emery paper tip.

Everyone to their own I say - but my preference is for machining wood every time - all tools should have tails in my book

Bob

9fingers":iwxw9hwu said:
Everyone to their own I say - but my preference is for machining wood every time - all tools should have tails in my book

Bob
We must be reading the same book :D That is apart from some nice Japanese saws :p

For me I want to design, get the stuff made then finished. I get my fun from making in a short time then using the stuff I've produced.

I have to use 'machines' simply because of a few problems I have with my spine, using handtools causes too much pain.
If I could I would prefer to use handtools, but may I add all the woodwork I do is to fill in my day and not for profit or gain.

Stew

I've always found the 'hand versus machine' debate rather meaningless.
I'm not a masochist, so I use machines where that is the most suitable options, and hand tools likewise.
In America I have seen sites devoted entirely to hand work as 'traditional.'
I started an apprenticeship in the aicraft industry, in wood, in 1956, all the men were middle-aged to elderly, and I can assure you that they would have traded a kidney for some of the machines we now have!
They weren't masochists either!

Roy.

Back