How do u keep ur's.....?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clogs

just can't decide
Reaction score
Just out of interest.....Phil mentioned a good supplier of decent qual elec cable in a prev post....
as an old person
IMG_8863.jpeg
I still have many mains powered tools.....these are just a few from the last job....
How do u keep ur leads tidy.....?
Over the years have seen many ways often causing damage to the leads (Kinks etc)
Here's a photo of how I keep mine rolled up.....
Most of the machines hang up on dedicated racks....the leads on say the 9" grinders are rolled up so that they hang on the handles....
Electric drills are kept/poked into 4-6" drain pipe with enough lead to loop over the sticky out bit.....
Just interested....one of my pet hates are leads and rope not coiled up neatley...

Just the same as you.
I have a hate for knackered cords. Don't tie knots in them and don't wrap the cord around the tool body. It causes repeat flexing in the same places and makes the leads fail quicker - often close to the strain relief.
Horrid stiff pvc power cables get replaced with a decent long length of rubber flex.

Thanks very much for that Sideways. I do have problems with coiling long cables (even the "arctic rubber" ones) and I didn't know this trick. Book marked, again, thanks.

All cables should be H07RN-F
All cables should be coiled over / under and tied with velcro loop or re-usable cable tie
I just bought a 5mt lead from 16A 230v 2.5mm2 lead About £23+ inc P&P, excellent quality, German made plugs. I didn't think that bad.
I just use very lightweight cable ties every time I put the tool away and snip them off.*

* This came about when I worked somewhere with appalling electrics and had about fifteen foot leads on every power tool - great fun when you had to waste an hour because six or seven tool's leads had got tangled up.

Last edited:
Not a fan of amazon but here's the stuff to look out for.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VELCRO®-Brand-Cable-Manager-Reusable/dp/B01H4CYGSS
It is a durable form of velcro made specially for the job and sold on reels in various widths. You'll find it on ebay too.
It sees use in datacomms cable management, audio visual and other fields.
Much superior to the kind of thing you will find in ikea where a strip of hook is fused to the end of a strip of loop.

Same stuff. Similar price per metre. Those work out about £18 / 10m
I find the plain version on the roll to be very versatlie. In 20mm wide form, it's plenty strong enough to tidy dust extraction hose or to hang hoses overhead for a quick lash up. The wide one will also secure a big heavy coil of rubber extension cable. I've used a couple of ten or fifteen metre rolls of this stuff over the years. Keep your eyes open on ebay ...

Last edited:
Man after (our) own hearts :)
I learnt the over / under coil from someone who did stage work. They have to deal with long microphone and other cables. Well worth knowing. Here's the first video I found :

Great Video. Mountaineers use the same technique to coil their long ropes, its reduces the twist build up in the coil. Excellent video, I've going to share it with our local church choir as, boy, do they run through cables.

I just coil the cable round the tool, tuck the plug in and shove it on a shelf. As long as you don't strain the cable relief, it's OK. When I uncoil it, I make sure I take all the turns out. Never had any problems.

Where do you get velcro cable tidy bands??

In my case (not that it would help you I think) in Switzerland, in bigger food supermarkets, and in every DIY Emporium. Sometimes in Aldi & Lidl too.

I'm not so keen on Phil's idea of cable ties - 1. need to be careful not to full them too tight, and 2. even the little ones do cost money and they're of course, use once only.

I got a pack of velcro ties at lidl a couple of weeks ago, £1.50 for quite a few, maybe 20 or so. seem very good.

I've got velcro from amazon before and didn't look at what I was buying, a lot of ties don't stay attached to the cable, so when the cable is uncoiled you put the tie down and invariably lose it. Don't buy that sort IMO

I just coil the cable round the tool, tuck the plug in and shove it on a shelf. As long as you don't strain the cable relief, it's OK. When I uncoil it, I make sure I take all the turns out. Never had any problems.
I looked at my big Bosch router this afternoon - the flex is wrapped around the handles and the body ...................... where when not in use it's been for the last 32 years. :LOL:

Yeah, agree with the above from The Unicorn. The ones I bought (forget where from, but I see them "all over", as said above) have a small metal "D ring" at one end so that they stay on the cable when unrolled, but can be removed completely if required.

Back