How do they make raised panel veneered doors?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

OK. In my current and last house we have (had) oak kitchen cupboards. The rails and stiles on doors are solid oak and the raised panel is (I think MDF) which as been raised and the what looks like a single piece of veneer put on it. How do they put the veneer on? especially the corners of the angled edges where I would expect there to be too much veneer???

Tony,

I have seen solutions for raising veneered panels that employ solid edging around the veneer and it is the solid wood that is shaped.

I would have thought that wrapping a veneer around a raised panel, involving as it would a cutting operation to overcome the corner problem would be too expensive for mass produced kitchen furniture unless there is a handy machine that does this - which I guess is the answer to your question!

Tony,

I suspect that your panels are made using some sort of foil or veneer sheet which is vacuum formed onto the mdf after shaping. I've saw a number of machines at Woodmex which foil wrapped batches of cabinet doors, and the foil appeared to have enough stretch to deal with curved shapes. I don't know how they make up the rolls of foil or how much real wood they contain!

Regards

David

I don't think it is veneer at all, printed paper believe it or not.It is a plasticed paper and is quite hard wearing.we have a bedroom suite and it is 20 years old and still looks new(ish)

This doesnt sound like your case but,

I've seen some doors where the majority of the panel (the piece which fits snuggly inside the frame) is made of one piece of double sided oak veneered mdf. On the outer face of this panel, another, smaller (and shaped) piece of single sided oak veneered mdf is glued to give the raised panel effect. The only way you can tell is to view the edge of the "riased panel", which most people dont!

Works quite well, I thought I maight have a go at it next time I need some.

Cheers

Sam

jaymar":2aik1w35 said:
I don't think it is veneer at all, printed paper believe it or not.It is a plasticed paper and is quite hard wearing.we have a bedroom suite and it is 20 years old and still looks new(ish)

Nope. Definitely wood - I checked. Very clever application of the veneer :shock:

Yes this damaged in transit one is definitely wood but has a chipboard core.
I wonder if veneer is applied during a hot molding process when forming the chipboard, the veneer certainly does not show any 'stretch' marks from the forming, very clever.
door.jpg

Latest posts

Back