How do they do these letters?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes

Reaction score
Hi, I'm interested in learning how to do letter carving (as found at places like the Oak and Rope Company's chopping boards - sorry, can't post a link or picture). I know it could be done by hand (maybe not to this standard by me!), but I'm pretty sure the companies doing this type of work are simply loading into something like a cnc router and letting it do all the work. However, I can't find a single one that'd do the job due the height of the product (z axis) of 300mm+.

Interested in thoughts, I want to play and ready to invest quite heavily if needs be.

Edit - image 3 posts down, sorry didn't realise and a newbie, I couldn't post images!

Carvingboard.jpg

Those ones, I would have thought you could do with a router, lettering cutter and template. I am not sure whether you could do the curved boards as easily. They do look good, but looking on their website, they are very expensive!

Hi wes, welcome to the forum.
i'm not as experienced as most on here but could you clamp vertical, level with a bench-top then use a pantograph or templates?
chris

cross-over with marcros :)

This sort of stuff (as far as I'm aware) can't be done with a router...it's a strictly hand tool thing and done with chisels (no gouges or carving tools). Getting into the corners for the serifs needs to be done cleanly and precisely and a router cutter simply won't do the job. The reason why the boards are expensive is exactly that...all the lettering will have been done painstakingly by hand.
I don't know how to do this, but it's one of the things I want to learn. If it's of any help, RogerM of this parish is a dab hand at this and no doubt will be along shortly
Edit: BB's links are good and it clearly works, but if you have a detailed look, the serifs are still not very sharp...chiseling by hand with a really sharp tool is the only way to get really crisp lettering, which is what counts IMO - Rob

Ahh, now that's something I didn't think of!

Right, another 2 hours of googling coming up - are there any good brands to go for?

Thanks for the swift replies, really helpful.

Edit: woodbloke, yes I know what you mean, but I just feel that there's a way to 'cheat'!

wes":20thcx0p said:
Edit: woodbloke, yes I know what you mean, but I just feel that there's a way to 'cheat'!

Yes, there's obviously a 'cheat' but it involves quite a complicated panto set up, whereas if you learn to do it by hand, the results are far better and all you need is about three very sharp chisels...and a lot of patience :mrgreen: - Rob

woodbloke":j3rkwhfg said:
wes":j3rkwhfg said:

Yes, there's obviously a 'cheat' but it involves quite a complicated panto set up, whereas if you learn to do it by hand, the results are far better and all you need is about three very sharp chisels...and a lot of patience :mrgreen: - Rob

Agreed.

BTW, googling found this, which seems quite inspiring:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAn ... x?id=27064

BugBear

Yes there is a cheat, however not necessarily with the carving but the setting out

DCP_2268.jpg

DCP_2280.jpg

DCP_2279.jpg

woodbloke":17dn9mud said:
wes":17dn9mud said:

Woodbloke makes some good points however I feel you need a few in and out channel gouges for the curved letters and i personally use a fishtail for the serifs

another example but with smaller letters

DCP_2218.jpg

It's interesting that they describe it as hand engraving as opposed to carving, so my guess is that it's a machine process of some sort, but CNC would take away the "hand" element. :? :?

It might be that they're hand carved, and that the company have their terminology wrong??

http://www.theoakandropecompany.co.uk/page8.htm

Nice money if you can get it though!

Cheers
Aled

There's no reason why they couldn't be cnc cut - 30cm z axis is nothing with the right mill.
I would use my 3d pantograph, but crisper results could be achieved by hand if you have the skills.

Si.

We bought this as an anniversary present from a Craftsman in Scotland - they are supposed to be hand carved?

Rod

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335204957.474747.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335204957.474747.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 101
I would think a CNC machine with a capstan head might be able to do it...the tip changing from coarse to fine as the head approaches the serif points but it looks hand carved to me. And very well so.

Katellwood...your examples are stunning!

Jim

Back