How do they do that? (Worktop question)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
I've come across these a couple of times, but I don't know haw they are done. Normal WT jigs are used with a 1/2" router cutter, and couldn't cut the sharp corner where the mitre becomes a butt joint
37560828.worktopjoint.jpg

So, how do they do it?
John

John,

With pbase.com to insert the image into this forum you have to click on the image this then shows this URL at the top of the page in the address

Code:
http://www.pbase.com/john_elliott/image/37560828

To add this to a post you use the normal
Code:
[img][/img]
links - with the URL in the middle - but the key thing is you have to manually add the ".jpg" on the end so that it becomes....

Code:
[img]http://www.pbase.com/john_elliott/image/37560828.jpg[/img]

This then gives....

37560828.jpg

Which should show an image - but as it's showing a direct linking not allowed picture - I'm guessing you haven't subscribed? Anyway - I'll host it on my account for a while - seen as it'll get the question answered....

37561856.jpg

Adam

John,

I have never done kitchens or used a WT jig but I guess if a router was used at all, then the corner was simply finished off with hand tools. A half inch bit will only leave a quarter of an inch to clear up after all, so I don't think it can be very difficult. I often square the corners of mortices I have routed if I want to use square edged tenons (ie as opposed to loose tenons) and it takes no time to speak of.

I've cut a couple like that with skill saw & hand saw, that was before I got a worktop jig. Just careful marking out and cutting.

Jason

John,

Is the joint that you want to replicate exactly as in the picture? I have only fitted two worktops where a joint like this was needed and i borrowed a worktop jig both times. The result was very similar but as you point out, not as sharp because of the radius of the cutter, but still a perfect join (because of the jig). My guess looking at the picture is that this one was done by hand.
To be honest though unless you looked at the two side by side (clearly highly unlikely) then they would look to the untrained eye to be identical - its only spottery folk like us that tend to notice such stuff! :)

T

tim":fqtq20tw said:
John,

Is the joint that you want to replicate exactly as in the picture?
T

Replicate! :shock: :shock: :shock:
No thanks, just wondering how they do it. Just as a matter of interest.

I'm not convinced that it's done with handtools, either. To get a vertical cut in just the right place with 40mm material, bit tricky, I would say. I'm not saying it isn't done that way, just that it would definitely be a bit tricky
John

Hi John,

That is done by hand, i did worktops by hand many years ago before i could afford a jig, i did it with a circular saw and straight edge then a handsaw then filed it to shape, its actually not to hard but give me a jig and router anyday, cant beleive how cheap the butt/scribe jigs are now compared to 9-10 years ago

regards
Ian

I used to do them this way, too - before the router and jig came into my life!
Skilsaw, jigsaw, file etc. Didn't used to think it was anything special, but the jig and router sure makes it easy now!

John, I have a trend Kitchen worktop jointing video that shows how to join worktops if you would be interested. I would be happy to post it to you and once you finish with it you could post it back. Anyone else who would like to see the video is also more than welcome just let me know. Dave

davidc1075":356e6pqq said:
John, I have a trend Kitchen worktop jointing video that shows how to join worktops if you would be interested. I would be happy to post it to you and once you finish with it you could post it back. Anyone else who would like to see the video is also more than welcome just let me know. Dave
That's jolly decent of you, Dave. Actually I have that video too, but my reason for starting this thread was to find out how the joint with the sharp corner is done
Once again thanks for the kind offer
John

Hi Bo

Welcome to the forum.

Pontop":a52awzn8 said:
Festool has a dedicated jig for this kind of joint.

Using a worktop jig would not give you the angle shown in the photograph.

The question relates to the angle cut which is a straight cut and not slightly curved as it would be with a router. Sorry for my poor use of english, but I hope I have explained myself.

Cheers
Neil

Back