How do these cuts not cause kick back?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, if you can't see why the idea that Paul Sellers, who, apart from the occasional use of a cordless drill/driver, uses exclusively hand tools…

And a bandsaw. He has videos and blog posts about bandsaw selection, set up and use.

Paul Sellars uses machinery for stock prep on the commercial side of his business and says so in many of his videos, his claim is that all the jointing and finishing is by hand. For someone who wants to learn about using hand tools he is a great starting point to see fairly traditional basic techniques. All the other soliquies and lifestyle babble is his own perception of his audience coming through. I enjoy most of his vids but eschew the lifestyle blog and the guff that his daily blurtings spew forth

but eschew the lifestyle blog and the guff that his daily blurtings spew forth

That's part of the reason I give him extra grief. He likes to peddle the nonsense that students in his classes are on the verge of some profitable enterprise while they're making something that would ultimately not draw the cost of materials.

It's the purest of misleading marketing that he pretends he's against
His gimmick about not being beholden to tool companies is farce. He'd like you to maximize the dollars going to him instead.

The fact that he apparently doesn't agree with D_W's views on cap irons is of no consequence to me...

That says plenty about where you are and where you're content to stay. Especially if you're referring to someone charging people to learn about hand tools. It's in his interest for you to fail to progress.

His real expertise is in drawing in people who could get better instruction from free to read public domain texts on the internet.

Perhaps it's for the best and they lose a few trigger fingers!
Some woodwork lessons with big circular saws and spindle moulders would be good for this lot: family holding guns - Google Search

So, you guys are identifying one Canadian (Hintz) and arguing with another (Hennebury - who I believe started life in England) and referring to statistics about saws in the US?

most of those injuries are jobsite injuries, not hobbyist injuries.

And a bandsaw. He has videos and blog posts about bandsaw selection, set up and use.
I didn't know that. As I said, I've not watched all his output. Consequently I also wasn't aware that he implied that his students were on the verge of riches.
I like a lot of his stuff, but agree that the lifestyle aspect gets tiresome.
My point, and the only reason I was stupid enough to join this playground squabble, is that it's ridiculous to blame him for unsafe power tool usage, and I stick by that.

Is there a prize?

136A246A-71B5-4C1B-B633-C6A472D600EE.jpeg

What strikes me here is I never know of Hennebury until 2012. He is a doer, he does. He spends his time figuring out how to do, and then how to do better/faster without dropping quality.

We live in a world now of smugness where the folks on internet forums who want to know all of the trivial things that will allow them to torpedo someone else - well, spend their time not doing a whole lot or experimenting with much.

And personalities who cater to beginners are the "doers" of their group.

It's like an alternate reality. Since there is no real test for results, the smugness can continue.

What I've noticed in 15 years on the forums is that the folks who actually do, once they're present company, most of the forum population just cannot tolerate the insistence of some personal investment in being a doer, and the fact that doers don't usually get caught up in the nonsense that's pervasive on forums (which guru, which new alloy, etc).

What strikes me here is I never know of Hennebury until 2012. He is a doer, he does. He spends his time figuring out how to do, and then how to do better/faster without dropping quality.

We live in a world now of smugness where the folks on internet forums who want to know all of the trivial things that will allow them to torpedo someone else - well, spend their time not doing a whole lot or experimenting with much.

And personalities who cater to beginners are the "doers" of their group.

It's like an alternate reality. Since there is no real test for results, the smugness can continue.

What I've noticed in 15 years on the forums is that the folks who actually do, once they're present company, most of the forum population just cannot tolerate the insistence of some personal investment in being a doer, and the fact that doers don't usually get caught up in the nonsense that's pervasive on forums (which guru, which new alloy, etc).

Perhaps it's that many of us don't spend our time promoting our greatness
on internet forums. We just quietly carry on our lives, doing what we do.

Perhaps it's that many of us don't spend our time promoting our greatness
on internet forums. We just quietly carry on our lives, doing what we do.

I think there's a difference between promoting greatness and having thorough discussions about building things. you can't really do the latter in any great detail as you get derailed by folks talking about whether or not something is safe.

Not contending that the youtuber in the video shown does anything great - he has the "something for nothing" gimmick type channel - It's a huge draw. I doubt he's made anything notable unless picnic tables are notable.

My point was that I called mark a doer, not "a great" or a "man of greatness".

The doers quickly tire of forums because inevitably a talk of doing will get bogged down in a combination of "I'd go to paul sellers for that" or "you did something there in that last sequence that should never be shown publicly"

There's a smaller forum in the US that used to be relatively immune from this kind of stuff (the format doesn't draw in beginners). This same type of topic just came up and the original poster went to great lengths to try to generate interest in the table saw topic (strangely, in the hand tool side). AT some point, someone finally spoke up and said "your safety with your saw is your choice, maybe we could move on".

They weren't advocating unsafe practices - but rather "please - we've heard this one 4000 times already - who wants to post something they're making".

Ultimately on that forum, things have gone to the folks who want to talk about table saw safety or a new type of crosscut sled. The same thing happened when there was a true great on a blue background forum - he got chased off by people who wanted to make sure that the discussion didn't advance past table saw safety or which online guru was a nicer person.

As Peter said, it just hasn't happened ... yet.

That tool me back to my time living in the US (Houston actually) and working professionally in their woodworking shops. Watching that little clip reminded me of some of the crazy and risky things some Americans seem to be addicted to do on their table saws. Slainte.

Because the table saw is a multi-purpose tool that can do anything, clearly!

Back