How do these cuts not cause kick back?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know we’ve been all over it before, but I’m going to say it again, you’re quite right those push blocks are so dangerous, so all newbies reading this please use pushsticks. And if you’re unsure watch the previous vid! Ian

I have an even better solution to using the poorly set up college machinery. I just wander into the shop with it all marked out and deposit it in the technicians hands, nod, smile and walk out.

Normally it's done within the hour for me to collect......Lovely!

Have you seen the vid on YT of a 'Kickback on camera' ? Where the silly old sausage deliberately induces a kickback and its only through luck he doesn't end up shredding a hand, and he recognizes the fact, and probably later on after a sit down and a cup of tea privately thought to himself how dumb he was to try to recreate such. I also surmise he takes far more precautions now than he did previously in a wake up call revelation.
3:30 on 😉

I love my pushsticks, I've about 4 sitting on the saw table of different types(home made18-20") for when I'm using it. Those little push blocks as per vid aren't a safe optiion, in that it seems to defeat the purpose and point of a pushstick in the first place

That’s mental, and illustrates exactly why I hook my fingers over the fence whenever possible.
His fence is really wide so I don’t think it would have been an option. The footage also illustrates what I realised some time back. When a kick back happens, it’s all over before the information reaches your brain. There is no time to react, he was so lucky.

Every time the word “ machinery “ issues forth from his mouth, complete drivel follows. He actually said ( referring to woodwork with machinery) “ it can barely be called woodcraft “ I actually spat my coffee out when I heard that. It’s no wonder people underestimate the need to take machinery seriously. Can anyone take a wild guess who would say such an idiotic thing?

Paul Sellers
Bingo

A simple solution might be for a woodworking channel on YouTube that was a Heath and safety approved educational channel, specifically approved for teaching the "correct" method of using tools and machinery. Each country could have their own health and safety channel. Or individuals could submit their videos to be reviewed and hopefully receive Health and safety stamp ( for a small fee) which they could proudly advertise to promote their channel. The rest of woodworking videos that did not have any Health and safety seal of approval would be "at your own risk" " have not been rated or approved, by Health board and safety etc."

A simple solution might be for a woodworking channel on YouTube that was a Heath and safety approved educational channel, specifically approved for teaching the "correct" method of using tools and machinery. Each country could have their own health and safety channel. Or individuals could submit their videos to be reviewed and hopefully receive Health and safety stamp ( for a small fee) which they could proudly advertise to promote their channel. The rest of woodworking videos that did not have any Health and safety seal of approval would be "at your own risk" " have not been rated or approved, by Health board and safety etc."
This is probably the best idea to date! But who does the vetting, that could be a whole new can of worms. lol

LOL my 2nd last posting was Pitrivie Castle, down in the big bunker. I could only do my job if and after the big party happened as my role was to be the morse operator for the rebuilding of the nation lol. Most of the time i just sat and played cards with the matelos

Last edited:
We could call it the health and safety executive, maybe they could be a government department and have some kind of legislation to enable them to protect people in the workplace… what a bold future you dream of

Who's a funny moose? Do I detect a hint of sarcasm in your reply?

If everything has been done, what is all of the fuss about?
Let people post their videos, let whatever happens happen.

If the British government has an official woodworking, Youtube channel showing how to use all of the woodworking machines, what is all the bitching about?

If people can get their videos approved by the health and safety, why all the fuss? just watch government approved videos and you will be safe and happy.

Hey I am fine with that. I have no problem with the guys video, no problem at all, don't have any problem with Alex Honold posting videos of him climbing El Capitan 3000 ft without ropes, or watching isle of mann racing. And I don't need anyone dictating how I work or what I can show about how I work. If you don't like it don't watch it.

Alex Honold climbed 3000ft about 4 hours without safety gear, one slip and he's dead. And you have a bunch of woodworkers complaining about how the video of a guy making a 3 second cut is too dangerous to be allowed for public viewing ?? If you don't know how to use a table saw, don't, if you can't focus for 3 or 4 secs, maybe woodworking is not for you.

The bold future that i dream of is one where children grow up into responsible adults. Where people learn to balance risk with knowledge, skill and confidence, not a world where others dictate what we can see and do. I don't want to live in a world where you can stick your hand into a table saw and not get hurt. I would rather learn to use a tablesaw, understand the danger and use that to focus and concentrate on what I was doing. It seems that many are trying to remove risk and danger from our lives, to remove our need to study and learn, and to accept responsibility for what we do. You don't need to understand or learn anything, you want answers, just google it, some one will give you the answer, no need to waste your time and clutter your brain trying to figure stuff out.

If you want to have an adult discussion about the topic, I am more than willing to discuss it, but if you want to make childish comments, go out and play with the other kids and leave the adults alone.

Every time the word “ machinery “ issues forth from his mouth, complete drivel follows. He actually said ( referring to woodwork with machinery) “ it can barely be called woodcraft “ I actually spat my coffee out when I heard that. It’s no wonder people underestimate the need to take machinery seriously. Can anyone take a wild guess who would say such an idiotic thing?

Paul Sellers

It's interesting he would say that as when he attempts to demonstrate dimensioning by hand, it's clear that he's done little of it other than demonstrating to a captive audience of beginners.

He doesn't even know (unless it's a gimmick) what the cap iron is for and when he attempts to square stock in one of his videos, the demonstration is painful to watch - like a man trying to tighten a bolt with a drinking straw.

The best way to learn can often be the hard or painful way, we all have to make our own judgement on how safe we are working or doing something and then either live with the consequences or have made sure our families do not have to pick up the funeral cost. Humans are a weak link when it comes to safety and there will always be incidents that could easily have been prevented. Look for the guy who decided to fit a 9 inch disc into a mini grinder because it would not cut a manhole, he did not look so good with a large section of that disc embedded into his skull. Then you have a guy in Australia working on the overheads in a basket, could not be bothered to come back down to ground to get the right tools and compromised on the means of grounding the basket, got fried, I think his name was Cheney. So the more safe we try and make things seems to give people a false sense of safety, if they just accept things can be dangerous then perhaps they will change habits and work safer.

Your 90 year old grandmother or your sixteen your old kid can go buy a tablesaw, or a chainsaw or sharp knife of any number of dangerous items. I bought a 500cc scrambler motorcycle in 1974, a bit of a step up from my bicycle. All I had to do was pay for it. I bought it after watching a motocross movie. If I got injured, who should be responsible, Robert Redford, the movie producer, the cinema, Yamaha, the dealer that sold me the bike or me?
Life comes with danger, get used to it. Take responsibility for your own safety.

The very title of this thread speaks volumes, you have a guy that owns and uses a table saw, posting a question that shows that he doesn't understand the saw.
That is what is dangerous! Far more so than what the guy in the video is doing.
I don't wish to pick on the OP, but it needs to be said.

It's interesting he would say that as when he attempts to demonstrate dimensioning by hand, it's clear that he's done little of it other than demonstrating to a captive audience of beginners.

He doesn't even know (unless it's a gimmick) what the cap iron is for and when he attempts to square stock in one of his videos, the demonstration is painful to watch - like a man trying to tighten a bolt with a drinking straw.
I watched one of his videos, that was enough for me. The thing is there is apparently a desperate need for gurus in the world. It appears that people want to remain like children with some father figure giving them all of the answers so they don't have to figure it out for themselves. and as seen on this thread there are many that are willing to step up and take the role of Dad to us all.

Leaders and followers, they are half people, incomplete without each other. and the rest of us that can think for ourselves and don't need them.

Some chap posts a video of a questionable table saw procedure, and somehow, after seven pages of back and forth, it's all Paul Sellers' fault. Even more strangely, D_W, our resident expert on absoeffinglutely everything, seems to have him mixed up with Jacob.
All highly entertaining. Keep it coming, guys.

Some chap posts a video of a questionable table saw procedure, and somehow, after seven pages of back and forth, it's all Paul Sellers' fault. Even more strangely, D_W, our resident expert on absoeffinglutely everything, seems to have him mixed up with Jacob.
Borderline amusing ain’t it? How do they find the time to make anything between posting so much, ermmm “content”.

What is amusing is how some people attempt to add content to the topic of discussion and others with the smug attitude set themselves up as above that and instead try to insult and belittle those in the discussion. So To all of you super smart buttocks, why don't you take a long look at yourselves, and get of your high horses and join the discussion. It is really easy to sit back and belittle people. poke fun and be sarcastic, it was fun when I was at school in the 60's And I am sure that I can be as rude and belittling as most, if I chose. this thread is in my opinion an interesting and important discussion which you could maybe add something to. If you cant add anything of value to the conversation, maybe you could just not say anything.

Have you seen the vid on YT of a 'Kickback on camera' ? Where the silly old sausage deliberately induces a kickback and its only through luck he doesn't end up shredding a hand, and he recognizes the fact, and probably later on after a sit down and a cup of tea privately thought to himself how dumb he was to try to recreate such. I also surmise he takes far more precautions now than he did previously in a wake up call revelation.
3:30 on 😉

I love my pushsticks, I've about 4 sitting on the saw table of different types(home made18-20") for when I'm using it. Those little push blocks as per vid aren't a safe optiion, in that it seems to defeat the purpose and point of a pushstick in the first place

I saw that a few months back. I couldn't believe how stupid that was. There is plenty of videos showing accidental kickback from various YouTubers. Absolutely no need to do it deliberately, he was a very lucky man!

Borderline amusing ain’t it? How do they find the time to make anything between posting so much, ermmm “content”.
Just chatting. I wasn’t aware I was supposed to okay everything with you first but thanks so much for enlightening me. You must be awesome. I want to be like you.

Back