How do these cuts not cause kick back?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this thread has reached the point where we need to bring in a video of a shingle sawyer as a reference point.

Of all the things that the sawyer is doing, the one that amazes me most is that he is smoking while every surface is covered in inches-thick sawdust.

It's OK he's wearing gloves and has a fire extinguisher.

It's OK he's wearing gloves and has a fire extinguisher.
He would only have lit the fag for the video. I used to do that - result; dozens of pics of me rolling one up whilst sitting on a mountain side or a beach etc

Last edited:
Sadly that wont happen. I too like John's videos however you can put money on there being a similar thread or discussion the next time he does something that hits a nerve with a few here.

I think you're right, but I find that very weird, if someone offended me with their practices on youtube, I would just cease watching them, I certainly wouldn't contribute to their wealth.

Hear Hear, well said, I couldn't agree more!
Here in the UK, have we really degenerated to the stage where we are only capable of an action or activity if some shiny buttocks in some Gov't office has written to tell us how to do it?
I even saw a washing label in my Granddaughters T shirt which said "Machine washable. Remove child first" :oops:

If common sense were more common more people would have it!
That’s one view. I’m personally quite proud to live in a country where we take the value of life seriously. I’m sure you’re benefiting from that whilst simultaneously deriding it, how fortunate you are to be able to do that.

There are some terrible H&S people giving the profession the reputation it has, I’m not sure it’s the only profession that suffers from that.

Hear Hear, well said, I couldn't agree more!
Here in the UK, have we really degenerated to the stage where we are only capable of an action or activity if some shiny buttocks in some Gov't office has written to tell us how to do it?
I even saw a washing label in my Granddaughters T shirt which said "Machine washable. Remove child first" :oops:

If common sense were more common more people would have it!
I've seen that one, but wonder whether they mean remove child from the machine or from the item? :unsure: :LOL:

I’m sure many of you guys will remember the Elu Flipover saw. That is the only tool I’ve ever gotten rid of simply because it scared me! During my early days of using it, whilst cutting thin rips against the fence, I discovered the rip had a tendency to fly back and hit you square in the belly. I can hear you all screaming “Push stick!!”.
I needed both ands on the stock sheet to keep it square. “Simple!” I thought. Just keep your Youngs Special induced beer belly out of way. This I did, rather nimbly if I say it myself, however, instead of hitting me the rip of MDF flew like an arrow through the lower sash of the window behind me.
Said window was, of course, closed !!
The neat hole through the glass was fascinating, as was the fact that the “missile” ended up on the pavement across the street. Okay, only a fairly narrow Victorian street in Battersea, but by virtue of that, the box-sashes were single pane and pretty huge. The cost and aggravation of the resulting repair made me think long and hard about my safety procedures.
I obviously needed a bigger, more impact-absorbing beer belly! Cheers! 🍻

That's not the point that being made and you are both being facetious.
I think it's all been said already, but the internet is full of 'dangerous' advice. If someone isn't smart enough to know that, they shouldn't really be using a table saw. You can't possibly police the internet and filter out all the 'dangerous' content.
I don't want to see people injured using dangerous equipment, but I believe that with a percentage of people it will happen sooner or later even if they don't watch videos. And it would probably still happen if they only ever watched safe videos. These tools are dangerous.

What did 'I Build It' say when you complained about the dangerous advice in the video?

I think this thread has reached the point where we need to bring in a video of a shingle sawyer as a reference point.
That is seriously scary :eek: the way he walks close to the main blade wearing baggy sleeves. I had to move the cursor along the vid to check it didnt end badly before watching it.

Each and every year there will be statistics concerning accidents involving woodworking machinery both in the home and in industry. EVERY YEAR.
These statistics have to come from somewhere and you can bet your last quid that the operator in each was doing something you won't find in the HSE handbook. Be that lack of concentration through to removing a guard through to wearing the wrong sort of clothing, or doing something thats just plainly stupid.

Now here, this guy has probably done this many times. this time however it ended badly for him. Thought the vid is linked to an ambulance chasing lawyer who has this silly person believing it wasn't really his fault.
Dont worry, there is nothing gory to see that will put you off your tea.

Last edited:
I don't want to see people injured using dangerous equipment, but I believe that with a percentage of people it will happen sooner or later even if they don't watch videos. And it would probably still happen if they only ever watched safe videos. These tools are dangerous.

An very interesting topic that brings up Sandyn.
I know it's being a bit silly, but I'd like to imagine that there will be enough good content on the internet, hopefully on youtube which folks can easily find the good stuff,
(a good bite out of said percentage)
There's not that many tablesaw accidents and lessons on such on the tube...so far

I think there's a huge gap in the market (for youtubers) there.
All needed to make a viral video is a compilation of all of these.
There is likely many folk who have hidden videos of accidents, and some other folk maybe holding out
not giving rights to show videos in return for cash.

Just need some experienced woodworker and profitable youtuber to compile them all,and make hands down the best video which youtube would stick down anyone's throat who manages to get tablesaw safe.. written down.

Take a look at that viral bandsaw setup video for small machines for example...

didn't even have to name Mr Snodgrass, did I ?

It's surely about the right time and might well change the perception of the machine, not that it's not happening already.
Take a look at sawmill creek to see some threads, and you will find the same story, about the same machine (sawstop)
The wife made me/was at a show/kid starting woodwork/cut themselves/delta or similar needing an upgrade.

Trying to say, by some very incremental amount, were not going backwards at the least...IMO.
Maybe you guys disagree?

I don't want to see people injured using dangerous equipment,
Years ago aged 16 i did a 12 month engineering course and right at the start we all sat in for a lecture on safety. In it were vids from the HSE showing the results of accidents in full gory colour(I think I've mentioned this before)
They are designed to scare you into not doing something they dont recommend, and although that was nearly 40 years ago, I can remember each pic vividly.

Last edited:
When I started work it was under the official secrets act. I was shown a video of how a very attractive woman would get me drunk, seduce me and get all the secret information from me. 20 years and she never turned up, never got me drunk, never seduced me so I got fed up and left. I can still remember what she looked like........

A good start would be if manufacturers had to produce on-line safety instructions for the equipment they sell which shows new users the dangers of the particular machine. A QR code stuck to the machine and in the safety information section of the documentation, which links to the safety video. This should be a standard for all machinery. Links to be active for the life of the machine +5 years.
There's no guarantee people would watch, but no excuse if they then do something stupid.

The Jet sharpener came with a DVD.
I think I'd have watched it a few times if it were a dangerous machine.

@Sandyn you obviously got the carp postings then mate, mine was brunette and Bulgarian while I was in Berlin and had an approach from a very ugly Kazak when I was working for the UN in Africa but he did offer me a lot of cash.

First off, I'm not going to attempt this cut. I wouldn't dream of it. Quite happy to use a jig saw.

...but

I want to understand how the piece is not simply flung back? I appreciate that most kick back is caused by the work piece being trapped between the fence and the blade, causing the piece to ride up the blade and to be flung back.

In this case the piece is not trapped, but given the blade is rotating towards the operator, I would expect a similar kind of thing?

The cut can be seen @1:32, but the link should be to that time also.

Well I laughed out loud. At the precise moment he says not to move the wood backwards, he moves the wood backwards.
I have been woodworking in open access workshops recently and I have been literally speechless at times due to the mental things I see routinely. So the guy in the video seems not so bad by comparison. Its a risky cut but I don’t think it meets the threshold for complete insanity. If it did kick back where are his hands going? I don’t think they are going into the blade. If the wood leaves the table is he in the firing line? When I use the router table or the table saw I often hook my fingers over the fence. If the wood disappears my hand can’t be pushed into the blade. It’s not always applicable obviously. Personally I always take machinery seriously and I play out what would happen if I get a kickback. I can then ensure I wont be pushing into the blade or standing in the firing line. I think that a very well known you tuber is giving out very dangerous advice in this respect. He implies that using machinery just requires locating the on off switch. Every time the word “ machinery “ issues forth from his mouth, complete drivel follows. He actually said ( referring to woodwork with machinery) “ it can barely be called woodcraft “ I actually spat my coffee out when I heard that. It’s no wonder people underestimate the need to take machinery seriously. Can anyone take a wild guess who would say such an idiotic thing?

Every time the word “ machinery “ issues forth from his mouth, complete drivel follows. He actually said ( referring to woodwork with machinery) “ it can barely be called woodcraft “ I actually spat my coffee out when I heard that. It’s no wonder people underestimate the need to take machinery seriously. Can anyone take a wild guess who would say such an idiotic thing?

Paul Sellers

Its a risky cut but I don’t think it meets the threshold for complete insanity. If it did kick back where are his hands going?
Have you seen the vid on YT of a 'Kickback on camera' ? Where the silly old sausage deliberately induces a kickback and its only through luck he doesn't end up shredding a hand, and he recognizes the fact, and probably later on after a sit down and a cup of tea privately thought to himself how dumb he was to try to recreate such. I also surmise he takes far more precautions now than he did previously in a wake up call revelation.
3:30 on 😉

I love my pushsticks, I've about 4 sitting on the saw table of different types(home made18-20") for when I'm using it. Those little push blocks as per vid aren't a safe optiion, in that it seems to defeat the purpose and point of a pushstick in the first place

Last edited:
Back