How do these cuts not cause kick back?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The off-cut should always be to the free (left) side of the blade, in other words, not trapped between the blade and the fence. Off-cuts in the correct place don't come flying towards you, trust me.
They absolutely do. You don't always need a fence for a piece to catch.

But then the non off-cut piece is the risky one, as it would be with the OP's example at the start. His offcut is bobbing about loosely and unlikely to get snatched. Trust me. :rolleyes:
What you are saying is self evidently true but misses the point completely.

If the saw and fence are set-up properly, and the feed pressure is applied in the right direction, then there really shouldn't be any problems. Machines are consistent by nature, it is the operator who can be inconsistent - hence my advice that anyone attempting advanced operations on a machine of any kind, should seek professional training, and not to rely on a youtube vid, created for entertainment, not education.

......my advice that anyone attempting advanced operations on a machine of any kind, should seek professional training, .....
Yes but not with a teacher who hated it, self evidently. Maybe you missed a module on safety with table saws?
and not to rely on a youtube vid,
You've obviously missed that almost everybody in this thread is being highly critical of this youtube vid, except for you. Maybe you should stop watching them.

Last edited:
Yes but not with a teacher who hated it, self evidently. Maybe you missed a module on safety with table saws?

No, I've never had an accident on any woodworking machine - and as I said, neither did any of my students. So I must have done something right 😇

No, I've never had an accident on any woodworking machine - and as I said, neither did any of my students. So I must have done something right 😇
No just lucky by the sounds of it. I've never had an accident either but I've seen how they can happen.

You've obviously missed that almost everybody in this thread is being highly critical of this youtube vid, except for you. Maybe you should stop watching them.

I have my own opinions, if they're contrary to yours or others, that's fine with me.

I would suggest that it is those that ARE critical of John Heisz, that should stop watching his vids, not those of us who enjoy them . . . .

No just lucky by the sounds of it. I've never had an accident either but I've seen how they can happen.

Two months after I left a student took the tips of his fingers off on the overhand planer - the classic fingers over the end mistake.

I guess we make our own luck.

Two months after I left a student took the tips of his fingers off on the overhand planer - the classic fingers over the end mistake.

I guess we make our own luck.
Lucky it wasn't on your shift. Or was he one of your old students?

Lucky it wasn't on your shift. Or was he one of your old students?

As I said, you make your own luck in life.

He was one of my old students, and I always knew which ones to watch (probably lucky), especially on the planer, which didn't get used often - come to think about it, his name was Jacob too 😂

I hope you haven't got access to an overhand planer 😬

A very interesting discussion. I’m not surprised at the diversity of opinion. To me it seems that the biggest improvements in safety, whether it be the equipment, training or legislation have been countered by the almost total disappearance of that old favourite, common sense.
As for having the video in question banned or censored, how many of the posters on this thread viewed and commented on the one about Fred Dibnah a few weeks ago…
I have done and probably will continue to do things equally as dangerous as the technique shown, but I wouldn’t do what he did in that situation as it’s unnecessary to achieve the ends.
Censorship gets us nowhere however…

Unfortunately common sense is not natural or instinctive, it is learned. It comes from everything we learn through life from observed and specific training plus most importantly the ability to apply their knowledge base and adapt it to new situations. People that have never been exposed to any kind of hand/manual work have nothing to go on and their level for self preservation is low. They won't understand or know what is or isn't dangerous so are particularly vulnerable to following examples of bad practices that can get them hurt. Disclaimers are next to useless as they are only meant to protect the makers and not the user. Ask yourself when was the last time you read every word of a tool or machine manual especially the safety stuff you used? A coffee maker? Your car? The guy making a video that has been using a tool all their life should be responsible without being forced to explain where the dangers lay in their practices and to say it is not something beginners should do and mention safer methods but that responsibility isn't part of their makeup. Some will get hurt following those videos and others will pipe up with "They should have common sense." just like a number in this and other threads have said.

Pete

I would suggest that it is those that ARE critical of John Heisz, that should stop watching his vids, not those of us who enjoy them . . . .

Sadly that wont happen. I too like John's videos however you can put money on there being a similar thread or discussion the next time he does something that hits a nerve with a few here.

As I said, you make your own luck in life.

He was one of my old students, and I always knew which ones to watch (probably lucky), especially on the planer, which didn't get used often - come to think about it, his name was Jacob too 😂

I hope you haven't got access to an overhand planer 😬
Have been using various planers and/or thicknessers since 1986. Biggest was an ancient 24" Wadkin. Most used various 10 to 12" machines, currently a 12" Minimax combination.

Hmmm @ 1:30...

That's another great example there,
This is what we're talking about, not a video of one of ye grumpy grumps working, who lived at a time where Fred swung about on chimneys and toppled them near single handed
He lived and breathed the old way, bravado and all that, and wouldn't have it any other way.
I've watched a lot of him and at no stage was anything remotely tutor based.

Even for the folks here who are on the "brave" side/call it what you want.
I wouldn't think a video from any of you lot working would be, say if some production company wanted to pay to film you for a fortnight, dodgy, and if you did....

You're videos would likely come across as Ishitani's, and not tutor based whatsoever...
Maybe you disagree here?

Which is worlds apart from the would/could be "paranoid" forumites here,
who might chose to style their videos in a tutorial fashion, or a "you can do it" fashion like said videos above.

Seems to me, he really really wants someone to get hurt.
There's probably a better term for it, but completely psychopathic comes to mind, and is a good
enough for him something more lenient than a youtuber "strike", whatever that is.

Take some other youtubers who do dangerous stuff, like Buckin Billy Ray lumberjack dude.
He teaches some stuff, but when the dangerous stuff is happening, he never titles/styles stuff with a
"You can do it" theme.

Clear to see the difference I think.
There is evidence on the tube with folks who mention being thankful for him, as they can now use their tablesaw safely now:(
They should watch Steve Maskery's publications at the very least.

All the best
Tom

I tend to stay out of these kind of threads because honestly I’m with @doctor Bob on this one - really couldn’t give much of a toss! 😂 What I do find baffling - bizarre, really - is the desire to hold individuals in other countries to the commercial safety standards of this one, whilst giving large TV companies and media corporations a free pass; someone further up the thread said they’d reported the YouTube video to HSE - I wonder if they did the same when Misty was flouncing around the ‘Britain’s Best Woodworker’ workshop/studio trailing scarves and sleeves in their wake, or when the chainsaws were out, or the turning?? As for those teddy bear ladies on repair shop, there’s not a single pair of safety specs between them, the horror! 😱 I think I’ll write to my MP.

And before you sputter ‘..but that’s not the same thing…!’ well, that’s exactly the problem isn’t it; where do you draw that line?? Personally I think individuals should be responsible for their own actions - both those making YouTube videos and those watching them. If you tried to second-guess what some numpty might do with a set of spanners, you’d never get anything made.

You do you, and I’ll do me.
Hear Hear, well said, I couldn't agree more!
Here in the UK, have we really degenerated to the stage where we are only capable of an action or activity if some shiny buttocks in some Gov't office has written to tell us how to do it?
I even saw a washing label in my Granddaughters T shirt which said "Machine washable. Remove child first" :oops:

If common sense were more common more people would have it!

Latest posts

Back