How do these cuts not cause kick back?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off, I'm not going to attempt this cut. I wouldn't dream of it. Quite happy to use a jig saw.

...but

I want to understand how the piece is not simply flung back? I appreciate that most kick back is caused by the work piece being trapped between the fence and the blade, causing the piece to ride up the blade and to be flung back.

In this case the piece is not trapped, but given the blade is rotating towards the operator, I would expect a similar kind of thing?

The cut can be seen @1:32, but the link should be to that time also.

done it before for hogging out stopped rebates, it feels sketchy so I try to avoid doing it. take your time and correct sharp blade helps.

adidat

He's holding the frame tight up against the fence. If he let go it'd get snatched.

Blimey. At 4:30 his face gets awfully close to an unguarded spinning blade of death.

Yeah; he says “I could have done this with a knife, but I chose to use the tabke saw because I like to do as much with it as possible”. Seems crazy to me not to just score a line; it would have been quicker than glueing an extra piece if wood on, then removing it again!

"Whenever i can, i really like to do everything on the tablesaw"

Does this guy have any cookery vids? I bet dicing carrots is fun..... on the tablesaw 🤣

To be fair, its like shaving with a straight, it wakes you up in the morning 🙃

Daddy, how are babies made?
Well son, first you gotta getyurself a tablesaw........

For lack of a better term I'll call that a drop cut. At some point it will get away from him and he might get hurt if one of his other practices doesn't get him first. To make it safer (not to be confused with totally safe) you clamp a stop to the fence such that when you start the drop cut the corner closest to you is held and pivoted from the fence and table. You make the cut to another stop on the other side of the blade. Then you switch off the saw with your knee and wait until the blade stops. Then pick up the piece and make the next drop cut. It is work that requires a complete understanding of what can happen at any moment from start to finish and being mindful of where ones soft bits can end up and push sticks should be used where possible. It also isn't a good practice on dinky job site saws.

Pete

I want to understand how the piece is not simply flung back?
As Peter said, it just hasn't happened ... yet.

That tool me back to my time living in the US (Houston actually) and working professionally in their woodworking shops. Watching that little clip reminded me of some of the crazy and risky things some Americans seem to be addicted to do on their table saws. Slainte.

There are so many North American YouTubers that do this sort of stuff ALL of the time. They should hold some responsibility over what they advocate but of course don't.

It's not just North Americans to be fair.
Every time I see Laura Kampf ripping some timber without crown guards or riving knives and the whole lot getting flung back into her face and covering her in dust I just roll my eyes and think of Charles Darwin 😂

Last week my table saw reminded me just how powerful and vicious it can be. I was distracted for moment by someone whilst finishing a cut. Next thing the push-stick was ripped out of my hand and punched me square in the chest with the force of a decent punch. Needless to say I was not happy. Fortunately the blade wasn't raised very high otherwise it would have been neck or head high. There was absolutely no chance of getting out the way, it happened too fast. Now if someone described what he was doing, 'now take a piece of wood and push down onto that spinning blade, oh and make sure you keep it tight against the fence', would you? It looks easy in the video and will convince some to copy it. A lot of these type of videos are just about creating content, clicks and ad revenue. In fact there's a video idea in there for someone, throw some pieces of wood at a running table saw and film how far they get thrown back down the workshop, would make for a good couple of minutes of entertainment.

I’ve viewed a fair chunk of his content and can say his practices are the scariest I see…whilst he may feel at ease getting his fingers within millimetres of an unguarded spinning blade , and has so far gotten away with it, it still makes me cringe every time he does it.

He's a very experienced woodworker. However it's pretty dangerous to show these type of cuts to a random youtuber, who will probably copy him and it will go badly wrong!

Living is dangerous! driving to work is more dangerous than anything you can do in a workshop! Racing motorcycles at the Ilse on Mann is not for the faint of heart. We choose our poison, that's what you do when your an adult. You make your choice and you take responsibility for that. If I watch the motor cycle racing at the Ilse of Mann and go try to copy that and killed its my own stupid fault. So if I watch a woodworking video and go copy what they guy does and cut my hand off.... it's my own stupid fault! its called being a grown-up! If you are not comfortable doing what he does don't do it! The "fact" think about that for a minute, is that the saw will not grab the wood out of your hand! You are going to have to screw up to get hurt, and if you don't have the focus, concentration, knowledge and commitment. don't do dangerous stuff, because you will get hurt. Don't ride motorcycles at the Ilse of Mann, don't go skiing down mountains, and don't do drop cuts on your table saw, or shaper, because its not for you. The only people that are not at risk of getting injured or killed are already dead. Different people are comfortable with different levels of danger, doesn't make them idiots. Personally I am more comfortable in my own shop with my fingers 1/8" from a spinning 18" uncovered sawblade cranked up with 5 1/2" of blade above the table than I am riding a bicycle on the main road. Danger is everywhere, I am okay dealing with the danger in my shop and willing to accept certain levels of calculated risk that I am comfortable with, you each will have your own level. Perspective is everything!

If you are a child, your parents are responsible for you.
If you are an adult then you are responsible for what you do.

There are a million ways to die. If you want to copy people, you probably will find one.

2rhcfq6o1qf51[1].jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back