How do these cuts not cause kick back?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is amusing is how some people attempt to add content to the topic of discussion and others with the smug attitude set themselves up as above that and instead try to insult and belittle those in the discussion. So To all of you super smart buttocks, why don't you take a long look at yourselves, and get of your high horses and join the discussion. It is really easy to sit back and belittle people. poke fun and be sarcastic, it was fun when I was at school in the 60's And I am sure that I can be as rude and belittling as most, if I chose. this thread is in my opinion an interesting and important discussion which you could maybe add something to. If you cant add anything of value to the conversation, maybe you could just not say anything.
I'm sorry, if you can't see why the idea that Paul Sellers, who, apart from the occasional use of a cordless drill/driver, uses exclusively hand tools, should be somehow responsible for dangerous attitudes to power tools, is funny.
D_W weighing in with criticism of Sellers' stock dimensioning is weird, but not surprising.

In other news, Linda McCartney responsible for unsafe abbatoir practices.

I'm sorry, if you can't see why the idea that Paul Sellers, who, apart from the occasional use of a cordless drill/driver, uses exclusively hand tools, should be somehow responsible for dangerous attitudes to power tools, is funny.
D_W weighing in with criticism of Sellers' stock dimensioning is weird, but not surprising.

Any links to Sellers' stock dimensioning vids?
He's OK Sellers but he does burble on and sometimes get things wrong. Generally very practical, sensible and not trying to sell anything other than his own stuff.

Well, Paul Sellers constantly implies that hand tool woodwork is somehow set apart from anything done using machinery despite the fact that his large projects start with machined wood. Whenever he mentions machinery he implies that it’s use is as difficult as locating the on off switch. Suggesting to a novice woodworker that machinery is somehow less than and something which doesn’t require skill and diligence is dangerous. I was constantly surprised by his dismissive tone when I saw his posts. I am not alone in noticing this. At least one prominent woodworking journalist has written about this. The article didn’t inform my view it just served to suggest that I was not misreading the situation. I am for the most part a hand tool woodworker but I don’t consider hand tools are better or worse than machinery. So I stand by what I said, it’s a potentially dangerous view, it’s snobbery and just insulting to suggest that using machines is somehow lesser.

Going back to the OP would it not have been easier to clamp the piece to the table with the blade retracted and then raise the blade under the workpiece or am I missing something?

He uses machined wood for some of his projects and in the next breath proclaims that machinery is unnecessary. You only see hand tools in his posts but he is definitely putting forth his bizarre opinions about machinery on a regular basis. You couldn’t with any sincerity say otherwise. So he definitely is influencing people’s views of machinery.

He does come across as a frightful snob.
Totally, I will be sharing a workshop with a severely disabled woodworker next week. He uses machinery because he has no choice. Maybe I should let him know that everything he does is a second rate version of woodworking. Perhaps I can suggest that he gives up and just watches me doing the real thing with my beautifully set up, razor sharp hand tools. I am sure he will be thrilled to know that he is “less than “.

IMG_20211212_110933.jpg

Going back to the OP would it not have been easier to clamp the piece to the table with the blade retracted and then raise the blade under the workpiece or am I missing something?
Easier and safer yes but would take a little longer. Some TS (like mine) not so easy if the rise and fall is a lever and not turn screw of some sort.

Totally, I will be sharing a workshop with a severely disabled woodworker next week. He uses machinery because he has no choice. Maybe I should let him know that everything he does is a second rate version of woodworking. Perhaps I can suggest that he gives up and just watches me doing the real thing with my beautifully set up, razor sharp hand tools. I am sure he will be thrilled to know that he is “less than “.
I think it's a good thing having a few enthusiasts for hand tool use - they do tend to get overlooked by the machinery and gadget agents and very useful skills get lost.
It's not controversial like a battle to be won or lost it's just a point of view

OK but he never struck me like that.

I used to watch his videos and, credit where due, I found he had a lot
of useful information to impart.
However, over the course of time, his attitude and continual beating
of the same tired old drum became too tiresome. It's for that reason
that I stopped watching him and I do find that a bit of a pity.

I think he does it the "unconventional" way on purpose. Perhaps to attract attention to the video? (which he's successfully done here :) )

Personally, I would just use a jigsaw though. And if the lines had to be straight, maybe a jigsaw guided by a fence?

I think another way is with a track saw (if you have one)

Last edited:
I think it's a good thing having a few enthusiasts for hand tool use - they do tend to get overlooked by the machinery and gadget agents and very useful skills get lost.
It's not controversial like a battle to be won or lost it's just a point of view
I am all for hand tool use I find it jarring however when he denigrates the use of machinery and implies a correlation between machinery and lack of skill. It’s interesting to hear other people’s opinions.

I think he does it the "unconventional" way on purpose. Perhaps to attract attention to the video? (which he's successfully done here :) )

Personally, I would just use a jigsaw though. And if the lines had to be straight, maybe a jigsaw guided by a fence?

I think another way is with a track saw (if you have one)
The thing is - what he did obviously worked really well and very quickly, but dangerous in inexperienced hands. Apparently the yanks do get a lot of TS accidents, which is all you need to know! Haven't actually looked up the figures myself.

I am all for hand tool use I find it jarring however when he denigrates the use of machinery and implies a correlation between machinery and lack of skill. It’s interesting to hear other people’s opinions.
Perhaps being a bit over sensitive!
They go on and on about the latest machine gizmos - look at MFT enthusiast pages for instance, or the slightly passed craze for doing everything with routers. And hand tools too - japanese saws, crazy sharpening etc.
It's as though every other woodworker is a crack pot enthusiast for something or other!

The thing is - what he did obviously worked really well and very quickly, but dangerous in inexperienced hands. Apparently the yanks do get a lot of TS accidents, which is all you need to know! Haven't actually looked up the figures myself.

I guess it depends on how you define it as working well. He got the results he wanted to achieve sure, but as a repeatable process, is it something you want to be doing over and over?

If you were making that kind of cut daily, how long do you think it would be before you had an accident?

Personally, I won't make any kind of cut that I am not happy to do repeatedly.

I do not subscribe to the idea of doing the odd dodgy cut because .. it's just one cut.

Back