How do I treat a kids workbench that will be kept outside?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewanjp

Reaction score
I’ve just knocked up a workbench for my wife who’s a reception teacher – apparently teaching wood work in early years is a thing – which is great!

The bench will be kept outside the school but under cover (think a big overhang outside a classroom) – the grounds not level so it’ll be on levelling feet rather than touching the concrete floor. I'm assuming it'll get hit by blown rain but not get subject to too many downpours. Trying to work out what the best finishing product is – it’s made out of redwood with a hard wood WBP ply top (two layers), edged with 25mm thick oak.

It’s inevitably going to get battered by 5 year olds with hammers, so something hard wearing would be best. Any suggestions, or should I just whack a couple of coats of satin yacht varnish?
Thanks in advance :)

There are two types of wood treatments
1. the ones that are absorbed into the surface which are oil based products like Manns Premier UV decking oil which protects against weathering and UV damage.
2. ones that form a protective coating like Sikkens cetol filter 7 Plus
The drying time for these is from 6 hours to 16 hours.
What I would do is use a wood preserver then which will prevent mould and rot and then apply a decking oil to protect against water damage and UV.

Great thanks - would you recommend any particularly - presume that strategy provides no 'protection' against wear?

There is no protection against 5 year olds with hammers. :)

I use to make a lot of outdoor seating. Forget oils, they soon wash off. After loads of tests the best thing was a water based Rustins outdoor stain, which is more like a varnish, made for doors and windows. Dries within the hour, and easy to redo when it gets damaged, wash brushes in water which in my book is a major plus. Or just make the stuff from oak or chestnut.

dzj":367cl225 said:
There is no protection against 5 year olds with hammers. :)

(hammer) That is so true! Sadly whatever protection you impose if someone has enough will it will break it. But we have to try ;)

Yeah, i'm sure the little darlings will make my lovely work look very tired in short order!

Will investigate that Le Tonkinois stuff - how easy is it to matt? A glossy work bench will look weird!

I would be inclined to use a microporous paint. I painted my new workshop with it seven years ago and it still looks good with no maintenance. It has the consistency of emulsion paint, two coats and your done. There are quite a few manufacturers out there including Dulux, Johnstone's and Sikkens, I used Cuprinol garden shades on my workshop and Johnstone's on a shed and was/am very pleased with both.

Latest posts

Back