How do I stop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toscageoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings

How do I stop Teak garden furniture going grey, please?

I bought a large table and bench in the Spring and have given them 3 coats of Teak oil but now the colour of the wood has "bleached out" and is starting to go grey .

Putting a cover on is not an option because then the grass underneath dies

Please advise

Thanks in advance

That's about par. Unless you want to almost continually paint the stuff (Forth bridge scenario) it will turn silver grey...I'd just let it go grey. The teak itself won't be affected or rot either - Rob

Our garden furniture isn't teak. What they call 'boir exoctique' and probably mostly iroko. Each spring I sand it off and a good coat of oil and the same before the winter starts.

I always try to get the best oil I can. By the end of the season, summer or winter, it has a slight tint, but the sanding gets rid of that. It only needs a light sanding with my random orbit sander.

We don't get the damp here so I suppose that helps..

As WB said, it's only the outer that's effected. The natural oils in teak protect it. Some even like the 'grey', but I prefere the wood colour.

I re-oiled my teak patio table earlier in the year. It must have been just before the monsoon season started. Luckily I didn't get around to doing the chairs because the table looks like it needs doing again. :cry:

It's been outside in all this rain which probably hasn't helped it at all. I wish i'd put it under the carport like SWMBO suggested.

Oz

I have to replace the iroko on my bench. It's all splitting despite annual oiling. It's a lovely colour too. Just attained that 10 year patina. :(

But not to worry, The lawn is a foot and a half high anyhow, so I have trouble finding the ruddy bench!

Teak should be fine with oiling annually, as should cedar too.

My teak chair is a nice grey colour though; and the lichens make it look really psychedelic! :D

DIY Stew":gxftinin said:
Jacob":gxftinin said:
I thought you could not paint teak as it has to breath.

Stew
All paints "breath" but some don't stick.
Hardwoods as a whole don't take paint too well but if it'll take oil it should take paint on top of that. I wonder if the Holkham linseed paint would do it? Be interesting to experiment.

Back