How do I spot sanding marks, before applying a finish?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Can anyone please tell me what is available, in the UK, to allow me to spot any sanding marks before I start applying the finish?

It musn't have any impact on the wood.

Many thanks
Neil

White spirit and a bright light?

Adam

Hi Neil

I wonder if wiping the surface with Cellulose Thinners might show up any marks? This will also have the advantage of drying quickly and evaporating away to virtually nothing ready for any anything you want to put over the top.

White Spirit will have the same effect but would be slower, although this might be a good thing in some cases.

Look forward to seeing any other ideas!

Try a bright point light source at a low oblique angle to the work piece surface

Scrit

Plane rather than sanding?

I'd just spray a very fine mist of water on it and shine a lamp across

I'll get me coat

Hi all

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Terry has come the closest to what I have seen on some US sites.

Terry Smart":3t6mobb0 said:
I wonder if wiping the surface with Cellulose Thinners might show up any marks?

Will it mark the wood or have an adverse effect on the finish?

Cheers
Neil

Cellulose Thinners shouldn't cause a problem - once it has evaporated it has gone completely (assuming you're using a quality thinner) and shouldn't raise the grain or have any adverse effect on the wood

This is theoretical of course and not something I've tried but it makes sense to me... anyone want to volunteer to test this idea?

Latest posts

Back