How do I sharpen the chain on a chain mortiser?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
I have now finished the rebuild of a very run down Haffner SL100 hinge and lock motiser which I got for free.
Made quite a few new parts to replace broken or completely missing parts. Rewound the rotor and replaced the commutator of the burned out router motor. Repaired cracks in aluminium as well as in cast iron. Dad who is a former electrical engineer rebuilt the electrical system from the bottom up.
Anyway now I have a fully working machine...... the only thing left to do is to sharpen the mortiser chain.

Are there any special tips and tricks I should know?
I have sharpened plenty of chainsaw chains and handsaws and such but never before a mortiser chain so please educate me!

The large free standing machines I have used have all been fitted with an attached chain grinder. The chain being removed, sharpened and then refitted. Your local saw doctor or sharpening service would be my suggestion.

On wadkin machines they had a gizmo that indexed the chain and a abrasive wheel sharpen the chain. In theory I suppose you could do it by hand like a chainsaw.

Unfortunately there is no chain sharpener on the Haffner.

I will ask the local sharpening service and if too costly I can always try myself by eye like a chainsaw.

Latest posts

Back