How do I rip a DVD to my Ipod Touch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taffy Turner

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello Chaps (and Chapettes). :D

I haven't been around for a while - I was made redundant back in February, and so consequently have been busy trying to earn a living by whatever means possible whilst trying to find a new job. (Some fat chance!!) I have been doing some consultancy work, which keeps the wolves from the door, but only just! I don't get much free time, but I have been looking in from time to time to see how you are all getting on - just haven't posted in a while.

Anyway - back to the subject in hand. I am having to do a lot of travelling as a result of my new "occupation", and would dearly like to be able to rip DVDs to my IPod touch so I can watch them on the train etc.

Itunes doesn't support DVD ripping, so please can someone point me in the direction of some free, reliable ripping software.

Many thanks.

Regards

Taffy

Not done much ripping, but what I have done used Cucusoft. Actually I didn't even do it, a mate did it while we watched another video and drank a bottle. But I think it was Cucusoft. Good results, but I don't think it's free.

This one is free:
http://www.freewarezoom.com/archives/free-dvd-ripper
I have no idea how good it is. Let us know what you end up with; I, for one, would be interested.
Cheers
Steve

Try the free and fast Handbrake transcoder:
http://handbrake.fr/
Excels at that sort of thing. If the DVD is encrypted you'll need to de-encrypt it first. I use AnyDVD which does it in the background but will cost you. Lots of free alternatives but none as easy in my opinion.
Cheers
Gidon

Thanks everyone for the advice.

In the end I ended up using Magic DVD Ripper as that was the only one that seemed able to cope with some of my DVDs which are coded for North America (I buy them for a couple of quid on Amazon.com, my DVD player is an oldish multi-region one).

It allows you to run the software 5 times before you have to pay for it, but you can rip as many DVDs as you like as long as you don't close the program. I ripped a dozen and I still have 4 uses left! :)

Merry Christmas to all.

Taffy

Just for anyone else interested Im only after using a freeware program called "SUPER" by eRightSoft. Had audio decoding problems at the start but installed "Acemegacodec pack" and all was well after that.

Back