how do I restore a newel post that's been scratched by our cat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks to me as though the cat has clawed away slivers of wood rather than simply compressing the fibres. Steaming will often get dents out (on table tops for example) but I think you can only restore the post by sanding, especially the end grain where the post is turned from square to round. I'd use a 'detail sander', sometimes called a 'Delta Sander'. EG, this sort of thing:

Ferm DSM1009 280 W Delta Sander with 6 Sanding Sheets and Dust Collection Adapter : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Oscillating 'multitools' are commonplace which have a delta sanding pad and sawblades for wood and metal. I guess many on the forum will have them. If you start with 80g pads, or even 60g initially, then go to 120g and maybe 180g, I think you'd get it back to more or less looking as it originally was.

Best of luck with it.

You were lucky to have been able to take in those two kittens and give them a good home by circumventing the normal adoption procedure for cats, which is quite rigorous.

Attachments

• Cat adoption cartoon.jpg
    Cat adoption cartoon.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 26
Ok I've seen a couple of the Gilboy videos,so I have emailed them and ask them !!! I'll keep ya " posted " 😂

Couple of things come to mind... and what I'd try to do to repair the damage.

#1 sand down and endeavour to collect as much of the dust as possible - from the post *and any other areas of the stairs that collecting from wouldn't be too noticeable*. Mix the dust with some wood glue and use to fill the scratch marks. Then sand again and treat the wood to match in - wax or whatever.

#2... probably a VERY long shot - but nothing ventured etc... Contact the manufacturer, explain the problem caused by the cat - as you have here with pics - and ask if they can supply some sawdust of the same wood type for you to use as suggested in #1. Even ask if they've have some suggestions or something else they can supply or recommend without saying replace the post... they may be more helpful than you think they would be 😉

I'd probably try #2 first 😉😁
Sawdust and glue will dry noticeably darker than the post. Wax restoration sticks are probably the best bet.

I looked for a couple of years to find something like this but never did....
and yes her indoors would like one as well.....View attachment 115508
sadly we lost our Bengal to a dog attack.....but a few weeks later we found these two in a dust bin.....they were just hours from death....and certainly didn't look like this.....I just love em.....we have scratching posts n tree's all over the plot but he prefers my
Clarkes decking slip on shoes....given up now....hahaha.....
View attachment 115509
Sorry to hear about loosing the cat, but well done on rescuing those two. That tree wow!

We've got eight Maine Coons (my wife breeds and shows them) and they've slowly wrecked our house, ragging up carpet, stripping wallpaper etc. despite having scratching posts and activity centres everywhere (several of which cost an eye watering amount of money) and logs in their cat run outside. They're eating us out of house and home and my wife wonders why I want a nice comfy workshop...

We've got eight Maine Coons (my wife breeds and shows them) and they've slowly wrecked our house
I have 3 MCs (plus 2 moggies) so I can only begin to imagine your levels of destruction. Any textured wallpaper, underneath of sofas, walls next to doors and absolutely anything that can be unintentionally knocked off a shelf is fair game to them.

I made a 1.2m scratching post when the first one came and it's still alive after 3 years + adding another couple and sees a lot of use. I shudder to think what it'd be like without it...

One thing I would change is to make the rope go on in sections and to be replacable. I've added that ability but it would be easier and better had I considered it whilst making the thing.

Latest posts

Back