how do I restore a newel post that's been scratched by our cat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazzle

Reaction score
20210806_180859.jpg

I'd give it a going over with a scraper and then sand to a smooth profile. People wont notice if the overall dimensions change slightly.

Steam it with a domestic iron and wet cloth. Most of the indentations will fill out. When dry, sand it by hand and then maybe a little wax. ?

like the idea of steaming, ill try that thanks , cant paint it , its a long hard wood Richard Burbidge stair case, thanks chaps

After you fix it I would recommend getting a cat tree and scratching post. We have four of the beasties and I wouldn't part with any but the cat tree has made them a lot easier to live with, no more damaged furniture and they enjoy the high sleeping places.

Yes ,we have got Young Douglas a pole and it has made a heck of a difference, that's why I'm going to repair the post . . hopefully

Arh. . that's a bit bigger than Douglas's

Attachments

• 20210807_135822.jpg
    20210807_135822.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 20210807_135822.jpg
    20210807_135822.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 33
I looked for a couple of years to find something like this but never did....
and yes her indoors would like one as well.....
cat-tree-robert-rogalski-2-5cc2ecb057c9b__700.jpg

sadly we lost our Bengal to a dog attack.....but a few weeks later we found these two in a dust bin.....they were just hours from death....and certainly didn't look like this.....I just love em.....we have scratching posts n tree's all over the plot but he prefers my
Clarkes decking slip on shoes....given up now....hahaha.....
IMG_2213.JPG

once I've steamed the post and sanded it and waxed it , I will wrap some rope around it to protect it and see how Doug behaves, CHEERS

No harm in trying but I don’t think steaming will do much in this case. Steaming works very well for indentations, debts, bruises etc but these are claw marks where wood has been removed so there is nothing to “ push up “ and fill the dent. I think carefully sanding and refinishing will be the best.

Couple of things come to mind... and what I'd try to do to repair the damage.

#1 sand down and endeavour to collect as much of the dust as possible - from the post *and any other areas of the stairs that collecting from wouldn't be too noticeable*. Mix the dust with some wood glue and use to fill the scratch marks. Then sand again and treat the wood to match in - wax or whatever.

#2... probably a VERY long shot - but nothing ventured etc... Contact the manufacturer, explain the problem caused by the cat - as you have here with pics - and ask if they can supply some sawdust of the same wood type for you to use as suggested in #1. Even ask if they've have some suggestions or something else they can supply or recommend without saying replace the post... they may be more helpful than you think they would be 😉

I'd probably try #2 first 😉😁

I’ve never tried filling holes or scratches with coloured beeswax but a furniture restoration video by Gilboys showed how they do it (see around 17:00 onwards). Seems to be effective and perhaps this might be worth looking at.

Back