How do I remove a large engine oil stain on my resin drive?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John on the Wirral

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst in the US for seven weeks my wife's little Smartie car became incontinent leaving a large oil stain on my pretty driveway. The stain became well established over the seven weeks and I am having difficulty removing it, I had some of the old Gunk degreaser(the smelly one) which seemed to disolve and remove the top layer but the underlying stain persists. I bought a large container of the new Ultra Gunk! - no comparison with the ols stuff. Has anyone any ideas? I will enetually power wash but would rather remove the stain before subjecting my resin-imprenated drive to a brutle wash and find the stain is still there.

Reckon you'll have to steam clean it, then leave it to get bleached by sunlight. ( I thought resin drives were supposed to be impervious to such things )
Good luck.

White spirit will dissolve the oil, but not sure how it will affect the resin…try a small area first….stronger stuff like brake cleaner, and cellulose thinners will also dissolve oil, but could damage the resin

Reckon you'll have to steam clean it, then leave it to get bleached by sunlight. ( I thought resin drives were supposed to be impervious to such things )
Good luck.
Hi,Thanks for that. The steam cleaner would need to be pressurised as per car steam cleaning. Can you hire/buy hand-held steam cleaners? I don't think my wife's steam mop would take it.

White spirit will dissolve the oil, but not sure how it will affect the resin…try a small area first….stronger stuff like brake cleaner, and cellulose thinners will also dissolve oil, but could damage the resin
Hi, Thanks for your response. I will try a test piece

Oil, funny stuff, very controversial, especially by the environmental lobby. Never considered green and shunned for plant / natural solutions. Makes me chuckle. The fact that oil is plant based seems to have been ignored. It’s one of the most green, natural products ever. Take green stuff, subject it to high pressure and temperature, leave for a few million years and bingo. A totally green natural product.

All those nasty chemicals that has been highlighted as a concern over being flushed down the drain are in the main oil based derivatives……created by in essence distilling the oil.

On a serious note, I thought one of the selling points for a resin driveway was that it was impervious to oil? Contact the persons who laid it. Equally I’m surprised your concerned to power wash it, again I don’t believe it should be affected in the slightest.

Last edited:
Id try

white spirit,

Boiling hot water will soften the resin and release any oil attached to it....

Pressure washer.

Oil, funny stuff, very controversial, especially by the environmental lobby. Never considered green and shunned for plant / natural solutions. Makes me chuckle. The fact that oil is plant based seems to have been ignored. It’s one of the most green, natural products ever. Take green stuff, subject it to high pressure and temperature, leave for a few million years and bingo. A totally green natural product.

All those nasty chemicals that has been highlighted as a concern over being flushed down the drain are in the main oil based derivatives……created by in essence distilling the oil.

On a serious note, I thought one of the selling points for a resin driveway was that it was impervious to oil? Contact the persons who laid it. Equally I’m surprised your concerned to power wash it, again I don’t believe it should be affected in the slightest.

Arsenic is also natural. Have a sprinkle of it on your cereal instead of sugar and let us know how you go.
It’s not about something being natural it’s about it’s impact on plant and animal life that is of concern.

Nothing natural about digging up 350 million years of accumulated pant residue in the form of oil and coal and burning it all in 200 years.
Though something similar may have happened to cause the Permian extinction with fires caused by asteroids or volcanoes etc. "The Permian extinction was characterised by the elimination of over 95 percent of marine and 70 percent of terrestrial species."
Chuckle away!

Last edited:
I'll be happy to sit corrected but I am under the impression that oil came from sea life and coal was from plants.

I had a Smartie and it's hard to believe there is enough oil in one to make a stain and still keep running.

Pete

I'll be happy to sit corrected but I am under the impression that oil came from sea life and coal was from plants.
sez ere "Petroleum, also called crude oil, is a fossil fuel. Like coal and natural gas, petroleum was formed from the remains of ancient marine organisms, such as plants, algae, and bacteria." I didn't know that!

Back