How Do I proceed with paint job

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecoder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I have just made a piece for a church play its basically a mock window with A cross in the centre, my question is how would it be best to proceed with painting this it is made from pine and the Vicar would like to have the cross painted Gold (spray) and the outer casing a white colour,im noy sure what type of undercoat to use etc,can anyone help please ?

Dave

Any flat paint will basically do the job, however the gold paint will note any must do's.

Hope this helps...bosshogg :)

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?
T. S. Eliot

bosshogg":mo34jq2u said:
Any flat paint will basically do the job, however the gold paint will note any must do's.

Hope this helps...bosshogg :)

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?
T. S. Eliot

Cheers Boss, what do you mean by flat paint ? by "must do's I presume you mean it will show up any imperfections ?

Dave

Flat paints leave a rough surface providing grip for the top coats, and undercoats in particular, a saturation of pigment to boot, I'm suggesting even if you have some left over emulsion...whatever gold you decide to use make sure it's not going to have any reaction...bosshogg :)

Plastikote Brilliant Gold spray is good ,you will need a good surface finish to spray onto .Halfords filler primer (spray) is high build and will fill imperfections and can be sanded to a good finish
Matt

It's a stage prop so the finish isn't going to be that critical is it? I'm a professional prop-maker for stage and screen and we rarely need to get a great finish on anything, props are generally quick, cheap, and disposable. A coat or two of emulsion should be sufficient for priming/undercoating, and whatever the spraypaint is it won't react with it.

Incidentally, black makes a good undercoat for metallic colours.

Lowlife":2whh1ch0 said:
It's a stage prop so the finish isn't going to be that critical is it? I'm a professional prop-maker for stage and screen and we rarely need to get a great finish on anything, props are generally quick, cheap, and disposable. A coat or two of emulsion should be sufficient for priming/undercoating, and whatever the spraypaint is it won't react with it.

Incidentally, black makes a good undercoat for metallic colours.

Thanks guys for the quality of advice....this site is great :lol:

I would check with the art director/vicar regarding the quality of finish. A gold cross appearing in a church production might be significant ( lordy lordy have you seen the light* type effects)
Otherwise liquid leaf or gold model paint will do

*Blues Brothers

Matt

Shrubby":2fypt8tq said:
I would check with the art director/vicar regarding the quality of finish. A gold cross appearing in a church production might be significant ( lordy lordy have you seen the light* type effects)
Otherwise liquid leaf or gold model paint will do

*Blues Brothers

Matt

:lol: :lol: Actually Matt your right she honed in on the cross and it has now gone from can you knock me a window frame up to a major operation ... :lol: :lol: Ah well it is my very first woodwork piece so to know it takes centre stage (after the Vic obviously) at the Christingle service may just get me a small browny point with the carpenter upstairs 8) I certainly need them :wink:

Job completed thanks guys

with help from ukw members. Artistic director very happy ! :lol:

cheers folks

Back