How do I make this handrail?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Adam W.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Or you could do it properly and get or make a handrail shave.
and some capping planes and assorted whatnots..

dsc_5051-e1555184669356.jpg

dsc_5052.jpg

dsc_3292.jpg

Last edited:

Jameshow

Established Member
Reaction score
Just ask someone from the 1900c they will show you in a jiffy with a case full of moulding planes..... here we are pondering how it was done....Progress hey!

Hope you crack it.

Cheers James

JBaz

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I think your approach of making the bottom in one sweep, possibly one piece right through if you have the timber (for strength) and the top as a capping is the best approach.

If you shape the capping as a rectangular section (straight and curved) you can use a router with bearing guided bits to get your profile. I would channel out the underside of the capping so it cloaked the joint with the bottom and use a gap-fill adhesive to plant it.

Good luck.

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
Take the easy route and draw it in Fusion360 then chuck a big lump of wood in a 5 axis cnc. go get a cuppa and come back in half an hour, BINGO job done. lol

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I tried to avoid this job but surprisingly they couldn't find anyone else to do it, I had a job cancelled this week so thought I might as well give the handrail a go.

As it was only short I thought it was easier to make it in one piece.

Mainly done with the router but a bit of spindle moulder work and I even actually have to hunt down my spoke shave at one point 😮

swept rail1.jpg

swept rail2.jpg

swept rail3.jpg

I am never keen on jobs like this because one slip with the router or a bit of breakout and it's ruined. There was a lot of climb cuts going on with the router because of grain directions (which I obviously don't recommend).

At least fitting it is somebody else's problem :)