How do I hang a picture?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Might sound like a silly question, but I have always struggled with finding the right technique. To add to this I have bought some pictures with wooden frams that have no hanging system allready attatched.

Hooks? Wires? hmmm

Anyone have the perfect way to hang a picture?

To be hung on the external side wall (lined with plasterboard)

I use rings for on the back of the picture frame and picture hanging wire. As for the walls I do not have any plasterboard in the house I am into plaster on brick or breeze blocks. I use ordinary picture hooks that
have an angled masonary nail, or two - not had a picture fall down yet.

Andy

Of course I use hooks and wire too. I'm such a professional. You'd never catch me using araldite and string, no siree!

Well, not that often. At least I don't do it every time.

Errrrr.....

:oops:

Gill

My lovely lady just bought a picture that has been hung on a full width french cleat. It is 8' by 5' with a glass covered frame, though.

Having worked in a framers, the best way is to rivit "D" rings through the hardboard backing which is stronger than screweyes into narrow frames that can split after time. (if its a canvas with no backing then screw "D" rings into frame/stretchers.

Then use nylon picture cord which has a much higer braking strain than picture wire.

Jason

thanks for your replies. I had thought about the French Cleat idea. It seems like the most accurate and secure form. However I have to have these pictures up by Sat night (LOML orders) so will prolly go for the D Rings and Nylon.

Thanks all ;)

French Kleat the way to go with HEAVY items.
Made the 2 heirs each a large oak framed mirror last year. Weighs in at 14KG's each.
Used thin chain the frame and the a #6 rawlbolt for wall. (they live far away and had to hang it themselves)
The next one is for home will be FK.
:D :D :D

Back