• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

How do I hang a picture?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Might sound like a silly question, but I have always struggled with finding the right technique. To add to this I have bought some pictures with wooden frams that have no hanging system allready attatched.

Hooks? Wires? hmmm

Anyone have the perfect way to hang a picture?

To be hung on the external side wall (lined with plasterboard)

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
I use rings for on the back of the picture frame and picture hanging wire. As for the walls I do not have any plasterboard in the house I am into plaster on brick or breeze blocks. I use ordinary picture hooks that
have an angled masonary nail, or two - not had a picture fall down yet.

Andy

cambournepete

Established Member
Reaction score
Hooks and wire do for me.

If the picture's not heavy you can just nail (at an angle) into the plaster board. Screwfix do hooks specifically for plasterboard but I've not tried them.

Pete

Gill

Established Member
Reaction score
Of course I use hooks and wire too. I'm such a professional. You'd never catch me using araldite and string, no siree!

Well, not that often. At least I don't do it every time.

Errrrr.....

:oops:

Gill

Jake

Established Member
Reaction score
My lovely lady just bought a picture that has been hung on a full width french cleat. It is 8' by 5' with a glass covered frame, though.

jasonB

Established Member
Reaction score
Having worked in a framers, the best way is to rivit "D" rings through the hardboard backing which is stronger than screweyes into narrow frames that can split after time. (if its a canvas with no backing then screw "D" rings into frame/stretchers.

Then use nylon picture cord which has a much higer braking strain than picture wire.

Jason

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for your replies. I had thought about the French Cleat idea. It seems like the most accurate and secure form. However I have to have these pictures up by Sat night (LOML orders) so will prolly go for the D Rings and Nylon.

Thanks all ;)

Jaco

Established Member
Reaction score
French Kleat the way to go with HEAVY items.
Made the 2 heirs each a large oak framed mirror last year. Weighs in at 14KG's each.
Used thin chain the frame and the a #6 rawlbolt for wall. (they live far away and had to hang it themselves)
The next one is for home will be FK.
:D :D :D