How do i fit this tail vice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean_in_limerick

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have come into possesion of this tail-vice - it doesn't look like any tail-vice i have seen (in particular the Scott Landis Book on workbenches) - it seems to me that the screw-sleeve is different to anything else i have seen - has anyone seen one of these before as i am in the middle of building a bench and it would be nice to use it.

http://sean-smith1.magix.net/website;js ... t=15&pos=0

(there are 5 photos in total - hit the forward button)

There is 4 parts to the vice - the screw, the benchplate, the case and the screw-sleeve - i would have thought that the benchplate is attached to the front of the bench - but i don't know what to do with the screw-sleeve if this is the case.

Thanks for looking,

Sean

Sean I don't get any pics at all - just the header. If I can figure out which tail vice it is I'll look through my files to see if I can match it with stuff that I collected when looking deeply into various vice types.

I can see the piccys, but know nothing about tail vices, so can't help at all.

Adam

your not alone john i cant see them either .
do youmean a tail vice screw??
i fitted one but its not right, use it to clamp against pegs in length of bench (does that make sense)
find it very helpfull. only cost about £10 from axminster

Either the box bolts to the bench or the plate bolts to the bench and the box is inserted in your wooden sliding box. My guess would be the plate to the bench.

You would have to make a hole in the bench to allow the barrel nut to be inserted in.
The handle bolts onto the outside of your sliding box meaning it would be fixed with the box when it slides.

Could be wrong though :D

Andy

I'm using Firefox, but I also checked in IE6 and can still see them.

Adam

From what I can see Offcut is about right , the big box is screwed to the bench and you have to make a box for the other bit with the screw

i thought about the benchplate being bolted to the bench and boring a hold for the screw-sleeve - but there is a thread in the top of the sleeve - i assume this is to prevent it moving. This could not be used if the benchplate is screwed into the bench. My own thoughts are that the 'box' gets bolted to the bench and what i am calling the benchplate is the movable part - but i'm not sure - and hence the questions.

Sean

Sean
Are you sure the cylinder nut is the right way round?

My guess is that the plate gets bolted to the bench, with the cylinder nut this side of it. The box would then fit over the nut, and both the steel box and the screw would fix to a wooden shell over the steel box.

Would that work?

Cheers
Steve

That I think you need to do is cut you bench so that when you make the box to go over the top, it is level with the front ( I will have to take some pics of my bench as think it will help ).
Mine is all out of wood but ones I used to use at work are about the same fitting :)

Sean,
If you have the Landis book, look at the Nelson-Furtune bench. I'm pretty sure that what you have there works in the same way.
Cheers
Steve

Got it! Ha Ha! Eureka! Na, na, na-na, na!
:)
Tricky to explain :) But I'll have a go.

The plate is screwed to the front of the bench and doesn't move. It acts as a track for the steel box, which carries the vice proper.

The nut IS the right way round, but we are viewing it from behind. Therefore a big snug hole needs to be drilled in the bench to accommodate it. In this way, the bench takes the strain, rather than just the steel plate.

The bench also has two grooves routed in it just behind the top and bottom edges of the plate, to give the edges of the box somewhre to go. The steel box just slides back and forth now, on the fixed plate.

The wooden vice is a box fabricated to fit around the steel box, with dog holes. This is screwed to the steel box from inside. There must be an access hole in the end of this box, to line up with the access hole for the lead screw.

The lead screw is inserted into the box and screwed into the cylinder nut until it is up tight to the vice, then the flange is screwed to the vice.

Now, operating the lead screw will move the vice back and forth.

Voila!

Probably easiest if we talk on the phone actually. Why don't you give me a call. I'll PM you my number.
Cheers
Steve

sean_in_limerick":1r2167vf said:
not sure why you can't see them John? - try this link and follow 'endvice'
I am using firefox - and i have tried them on ie6 - with no problems - do you get any site at all, or a broken link?

http://sean-smith1.magix.net/

I get the site... just no piccys. Even that link above when I go to endvice it gives me 5 thumbnails... all blank!!! :?

Edit: I just used your username/pass combo and it finally showed me the pics. If Steve can't help I have a PDF file that shows fitting the tail vice (I think I do at least... I think it's part of the Shopnotes series)

Hi Steve/John - i think i have it - i will be installing it over the next couple of weeks - i will show a piccie of how it looks once installed. The pdf would still be nice John - in fact it would be great - i will pm you my email address - thanks everyone
now if i could just find an extra 8 hours in the day...

sean_in_limerick":34ztqwlq said:
now if i could just find an extra 8 hours in the day...

If you find them ... they're mine I tell you and I want them back :lol:

just one final question Steve - why is the the big screw sleeve threaded? - is it not the threaded side that is against the bench front - and if so, how do i screw anything into it?

Back