How did you learn to turn?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conrad

Established Member
Reaction score
In 2016 I bought a lathe, a Record Power DML305. I wanted to learn to turn but with nobody about to ask, it stayed in its box. Determined! in 2019, I took it out of the packaging and built a stand for it, went to eBay and bought some second hand tools to get me started. First mistake, I was shafted by the kindly people there. I have never bought from eBay since.

So to YouTube, great, answered a lot of questions and got me started. Admittedly, there’s a lot of crud to wade through, but also a lot of great guys who will get you to where you want to be. Its your choice.

The small lathe was a good platform for learning but its limitations became apparent quickly. Its certainly capable of the 30cm it Is rated for and I did test this. However, I have access to large trees and wanted to produce larger pieces.

I only use a whetstone sharpening system and I love my Sorby 3/8 gouge. Just didn’t realise how hard I was working it. I knew it was worn, but havig received its replacement I can see how much.

I do appreciate the difference in character between the Sorby and the Crown and I will coninue to use both. From my personal experience, I have contacted Sorby and they have been helpful and informative. I have tried to contact Crown but I have not a repyl to my emails. Normally, I would be pineappled with them, but I will say, I have now invested in a number of their tools and for me they are mostly very good.

I have questions for them and I do hope I will get the opportunity to raise those with them.

Gouge.jpg

I have phoned them in the past and they have been helpful but if you have a few questions yes best to email or even write (pen paper) by signed for post must force a reply.
Here are the full contact details from their web
OR start a new thread heading ..... Crown Tools do they reply to you? ..... you never know they may pick up from this forum
cheers
1659983591207.png

Thank you okeydokey I did relaise I needed to call. Emails haven't worked,
The Crown tools are quality but I expect you can see from the pic the difference in behaviour between the tools.

I would have liked to have a response from Crown, but I have to say I am so impressed with the product I can forgive them that.
My query was with regard to the factory grind, but that's irrelevant as I have just gone with what suits me. I like that Sorby have responded but will hold my comments re the Characteristics of the tools.

My only issue with them is with the Revolution hollowing tool. I will speak to them and sort this out.

Yes, just give them a call, they’re a very traditional company and probably don’t pay much attention to emails…

I learned the basics at school woodwork then had a 37 year break. I found a 3 speed record lathe(DML24) at a good price and got started again. There was some tools came with it and Keith Rowley's book ''Woodturning a Foundation Course". That was enough to reawake the urge to turn. My sharpening is done on a bench grinder. I did try the wet grinder for a while but its so slow. To start with I bought a chineese set of HSS tools while I got to grips with sharpening turning tools. Then I got better tools as the need arose. Crown, Hamlet, P&N to name a few. Got a bigger lathe after the first year but the little record was a good enough starter lathe.
Regards
John

Likewise, basics in school woodwork lessons. As a 12 year old in 1966 I wanted to make a coffee table for mum and dad for Christmas. Was allowed to do this in after hours sessions and being helped/let loose to turn 4 rectangular sticks into 4 round ones for legs. HSE? I still have all my fingers etc!

I had planned to learn turning many years ago - but it never happened.
About 7 years ago, I bought an old Wadkin RS6 and did a complete re-build.
So finally last year, I turned my first piece.
I had no training - just a lot of experience turning metal.
Ended up making a spinning wheel for my wife.
If interested, see my post " Twisted "

Yes, just give them a call, they’re a very traditional company and probably don’t pay much attention to emails…
Thanks Torx I will do that today. I'm still very green and learning the basics, but I would be interested to know the grind they use for the M42 razor edge gouges. I have replicated as best I can with my Tormek SVD186 and it works for me, I think the settings I am using are pretty much there.

My problem, and I'm assuming its my problem as the rest of the product I have had from them is great, is that I can't get the super ring cutter I had supplied with my Midi Reveloution tool to work. Its probably down to me, but I have used other cutters on the tool and they work fine. So either I have it wrong, or the super ring cutter I have is not as it should be.

I will speak to them today and post my findings.

I learned the basics at school woodwork then had a 37 year break. I found a 3 speed record lathe(DML24) at a good price and got started again. There was some tools came with it and Keith Rowley's book ''Woodturning a Foundation Course". That was enough to reawake the urge to turn. My sharpening is done on a bench grinder. I did try the wet grinder for a while but its so slow. To start with I bought a chineese set of HSS tools while I got to grips with sharpening turning tools. Then I got better tools as the need arose. Crown, Hamlet, P&N to name a few. Got a bigger lathe after the first year but the little record was a good enough starter lathe.
Regards
John
Hi John
I know the whetstone grinder is slow, I shaped my 3/4" sorby bowl gouge on it, took a feckin age but got there in the end. Once the tools are shaped I find it just takes a couple of passes to bring the edge to where I want it. I don't have the skill or ability to sharpen my tools with a bench grinder and to be honest I don't want to. Placed in the jig, a couple of swipes and I have a perfect edge. That's good for me.

I cleaned up my DML yesterday hoping to pass it on to another aspiring wood turner. I found it amusing that I was once so timid about using it. After using it for nearly a year, I replaced it last November with a Stratos FU230 with outrigger and have been turning some quite large bowls and platters.

The grounding the DML and my Sorby 3/8, now stumpy and asigned to spindle work has been great.

Likewise, basics in school woodwork lessons. As a 12 year old in 1966 I wanted to make a coffee table for mum and dad for Christmas. Was allowed to do this in after hours sessions and being helped/let loose to turn 4 rectangular sticks into 4 round ones for legs. HSE? I still have all my fingers etc!
Stuart I like to think 1966 was a good year I was born then.

I didn't really fit into the education system, I spent as little time there as I could. Left when I was fifteen and started to educate myself in the wonders of the world.

I had planned to learn turning many years ago - but it never happened.
About 7 years ago, I bought an old Wadkin RS6 and did a complete re-build.
So finally last year, I turned my first piece.
I had no training - just a lot of experience turning metal.
Ended up making a spinning wheel for my wife.
If interested, see my post " Twisted "
Sounds great Sawtooth.

I see the ladies here in Brittany at the craft fairs spinnig away, Its lovely to see craft in action and appreciated.

I watched about 500 turning videos prior to my first lathe purchase, i even made some chisels, when the lathe arrived i just started making stuff :)
Well Adam I did the video watching, bought a lathe and now make stuff, but I really have no idea how to make chisels.

Thanks Torx I will do that today. I'm still very green and learning the basics, but I would be interested to know the grind they use for the M42 razor edge gouges. I have replicated as best I can with my Tormek SVD186 and it works for me, I think the settings I am using are pretty much there.

My problem, and I'm assuming its my problem as the rest of the product I have had from them is great, is that I can't get the super ring cutter I had supplied with my Midi Reveloution tool to work. Its probably down to me, but I have used other cutters on the tool and they work fine. So either I have it wrong, or the super ring cutter I have is not as it should be.

I will speak to them today and post my findings.
Mark Sanger was an agent for Crown. See his videos here - I found them helpful.

http://www.marksanger.co.uk/resourcepage.html
He's a lovely guy. Sadly struck by MS, so not doing demo or tuition now. 😕

Mark Sanger was an agent for Crown. See his videos here - I found them helpful.

http://www.marksanger.co.uk/resourcepage.html
He's a lovely guy. Sadly struck by MS, so not doing demo or tuition now. 😕
I'm sorry to hear that about Mark gregmcateer.

As I say I like all of the tools I have had from Crown and I am happy with them, bar one. Its the super ring cutter I got with my Midi Revolution tool. Either I have it wrong or the tool I have is not quite right.

I will speak to Crown today and post my findings.

I'm sorry to hear that about Mark gregmcateer.

As I say I like all of the tools I have had from Crown and I am happy with them, bar one. Its the super ring cutter I got with my Midi Revolution tool. Either I have it wrong or the tool I have is not quite right.

I will speak to Crown today and post my findings.
I know what you mean. I haven't done much with it yet, but I found I had to fiddle a bit with the 'openness' of the cutter - i.e how far it is shielded. Also had to try different angles of approach until I occasionally hit the sweet spot.

Ok so I called Crown.

Lovely people, but it appears the ones I need to speak to are not available at the mo. I will call them and I will post my findings.

I'm not British, but I have a respect for British ingenuity, I would like this to hold despite Brexit.

Back