how did they expect this to cut?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
DSCF0142.JPG

A 13mm bit, bought purposely to drill (in a drill stand) accurate holes in end grain oak. That's a hell of a point to push in before the actual cutting edge touches. The point itself cannot possibly cut with that grind on it.
It needs my body weight on it to go into long grain softwood.

Attachments

• DSCF0142.JPG
    DSCF0142.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 669
It must take a bizarre sense of self confidence for someone to get into a position of responsibility making and selling drillbits, without proper understanding of how a drillbit works.

transatlantic":i802ie63 said:
They sent your a blurry drill bit?

It's "soft focus", to highlight its attractive, romantic nature - like they did with Farrah Fawcett (I'm guessing at the relevant age range here).

Is it one of those old-fashioned drills you use with a hammer? You know - put it on the mark, whack it, turn it round bit, whack it again, and so on until either the hole's as deep as you want or you've died from boredom? I know they used to use them in masonry and mining until someone invented compressed air. Maybe they thought it would work in hardwood, too. It's got that sort of tip - lipless and spurless.

It is modern cheap consumables. Most people who buy them try it and chuck it in a drawer because it is useless. It isn't worth taking back for the sake of a quid. The next person also buys on price, so it continues.

Trainee neophyte":3phhctbx said:
Cheshirechappie":3phhctbx said:
lipless and spurless.

Are we talking about Farrah Fawcett again, or is that a firm of chartered accountants?

I can see how Farrah Fawcett might come to mind (well, some minds, anyway ... ) in connection with drilling, but chartered accountants???

Trainee neophyte":2wr2a45b said:
Cheshirechappie":2wr2a45b said:
lipless and spurless.

Are we talking about Farrah Fawcett again, or is that a firm of chartered accountants?

I'll have you know they are very good accountants :D

I've seen drill bits with even longer points. They're used for drill holes at an angle to the wood. For example drilling round holes up the side of a stair string roughly 45 degrees to the wood. I fairly sure yours is just poop though Phil ! Lol

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Trainee neophyte":3cqagyhn said:
transatlantic":3cqagyhn said:
They sent your a blurry drill bit?

It's "soft focus", to highlight its attractive, romantic nature - like they did with Farrah Fawcett (I'm guessing at the relevant age range here).

That 'soft focus' was to make it less boring me-thinks :? :?

Latest posts

Back