How could I improve the safety of this table saw fence?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heimlaga

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you have any good ideas for how I could make an easily semovable short fence/low fence attachment for this table saw fence? It must be easily removable. Often I want to use the entire surface and lenght of the old fence. Sometimes I also need the tilting mechanism that is on the fence and then any attachment would get in the way. When using the planer for wide cuts I need to clear the table and outside the table is no room for a thicker fence than this one.

Stenberg 43.JPG

Stenberg 44.JPG

In planer mode:
Stenberg 45.JPG

Attachments

• Stenberg 43.JPG
    Stenberg 43.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 166
  • Stenberg 44.JPG
    Stenberg 44.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Stenberg 45.JPG
    Stenberg 45.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 196
The problem with the old cast fences is they are one sided like a planer fence and so fixtures do not straddle the fence.
This can make jig attachments a little more difficult. You say that there is no room to attach a face plate to your fence and have it out of the way when planing. if you had just 10mm for a metal plate that was higher you could use something like Steve Maskery's idea.

On my PK I wanted a long fence and attached one for tracking jigs or low fences . Mine screws in from the back . You would have to remove it for yours but you could use knobs and make it tooless. you can see what i did here to my fence if it helps.As set up its tracking a tenon jig I made but you get the idea.

http://www.machinejunkie.com/forum/view ... 3e1aa031dd

jack

Thanks Jack and Andy.

I rarely need all those 610 mm of planer width so a 10mm steel plate bolted onto the fence should do the trick. With knobs on the back it becomes easy to remove for those instances when I want to use the long fence or when I need the full planer width.

Time for som creative thinking and some serious digging in the snow to get to the scrap iron storage.

Latest posts

Back