How can I tell if an email is received?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there an email provider that allows detection of receipt of email? Sometimes I know that email plays up or doesn't get through or gets swept into a bulk/ spam folder on receipt.

What I don't want to do is hassle someone for a response (all too easy when its about a commission) but I also want to make sure stuff gets through.

Trust me, writing 'I have had problems with email recently, please let me know that this has arrived' just doesn't work. Very few people let you know!

Cheers

Tim

Tim, have you tried requesting a receipt?

Does not guaranty that they will click a return but it might get their attention.

usually found under "Tools" (in outlook express) for instance.

Edit: If using Outlook with Word as the editor then:

on the Tools menu, click Options.
Click E-mail Options.
Click Tracking Options.
Select the Read receipt or the Delivery receipt check box.
To be notified about a single message

May vary dependent on version but it will be in the ball park.

CHJ":1ek8ivc7 said:
Tim, have you tried requesting a receipt?

I receive hundreds of emails each year requesting receipts but never click yes in this age of email/web based threats and spamming.

no click = no confirmation

Email is very tricky and as far as I know, there is no way to actually check that an email arrived at the correct destination.

registered post?

I request receipts at work, and 90% of recipients read receipts, presumably automatically without thinking or knowing. Those are mostly business addresses, though,

best thing to do is use the old fasion way, recorded delivery by RM.

Is have the same problem with sending emails, you get a phone call a week later and they are shouting down the phone. I know i sent it but they still shout. Only good thing, is that my brother is our APS so have can look at the records to see it got delivered, so i shout back :twisted:

Andy

Back