How can I strip the paint off this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rs6mra

Established Member
Reaction score
As per the subject any ideas? I thought about shot or sand blasting but I have no idea if that would be a worthwhile exercise in terms of cost

Thanks

Attachments

• DFF4A8DE-7E11-4611-98B7-3D3779FE69EC.jpeg
    DFF4A8DE-7E11-4611-98B7-3D3779FE69EC.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 59
Why do you need to? Just wire brush the loose bits of, give it a light sand and paint it the colour you want it.

I would expect it to cost maybe £40 to get it blasted. I would avoid powder coating if you are tempted, especially if it's aluminium. If It's Aluminium then you need to undercoat it with an etch primer, you can get this in rattle cans from halfords.

Depends how good a finish you want. Shot blasting will give the smoothest and best finish but will cost you money either to buy the kit or get it done.

What do you plan to do with it and how good do you want it to look? Also what is it made of?

I want a good finish so shot blasting might be the way to go. SWMBO got it from her mother.
I did try the pressure washer and it wasn't that great.

A not too coarse grit blasted finish is actually best for painting as it gives a better key than shot or bead blasting, which is really a finish in itself, often used in bare castings that won't be painted. Depending on how you do it and the medium used, bead blasting can give almost a mirror polished finish. Anyone who offers the service should be able to advise you, and will know how to go about it depending on the material. Like many things there's more to it than you might think.

Back