How can I save this piece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bemused

Established Member
Reaction score
001-4.jpg

First time with this type of form.
I turned the lower part to try and get some classical lines, not sure if I succeeded as it seems a little short in the main body or is it too wide? but I was please with the foot detail.
The lid I think is a disaster and far too heavy for the vessel, I had intended for a ball on the top but fear set in and it ended up as an easy finish.

I have a chucking dovetail in the base of the lid so it is possible to get it back in the lathe.

Also wood ID would be nice, upper and lower are different woods, and I don't know what any are.

What are your thoughts.

Many thanks
Tony

Tony,

Re-chuck the lid turn it into a smallish ball and a pointy finial. just use a smaller spindle gouge if you have one.

Bottom wood looks very much like Sapele, top will need a better view to have a guess.

John. B

definitely looks worth saving...

print out your image and design the lid with pencil before turning it - this should give you confidence in the design such that you concentrate on making it (rather than ongoing design work!)

the good news is that you have plenty of material to work with :)

I'm now fortunate enough to have a copy of Classic Forms that turned up from Secret Santa here this year - and it gives me the underlying reference I need for such things at a glance. The cover even has something that might assist your perspective (top centre) and I'm happy to reproduce it from public domain published material

6614421299_f5eb3a7002_o.jpg

I really like it. If your not happy with the pyramid at the top, does the piece actually need it? I put a thumb over that part of the picture and it looks really good.
Cheers
David

That is a very nice piece of work!

I would have to agree and say that it is Sapele on the bottom, we use a lot of this in work and it looks almost identical.

What will you be using this for?

John. B":538mxb85 said:
Tony,

Re-chuck the lid turn it into a smallish ball and a pointy finial. just use a smaller spindle gouge if you have one.

Bottom wood looks very much like Sapele, top will need a better view to have a guess.

John. B

Thanks for the advice John
Better picture of the top
Looks like a nasty graze on the middle facet but its not visable with the eye, I think it may be how the flash reacts.

003-2.jpg

jumps":pg2hg05a said:
definitely looks worth saving...

print out your image and design the lid with pencil before turning it - this should give you confidence in the design such that you concentrate on making it (rather than ongoing design work!)

the good news is that you have plenty of material to work with :)

I'm now fortunate enough to have a copy of Classic Forms that turned up from Secret Santa here this year - and it gives me the underlying reference I need for such things at a glance. The cover even has something that might assist your perspective (top centre) and I'm happy to reproduce it from public domain published material

6614421299_f5eb3a7002_o.jpg

Good advice and yes the top is just too heavy.
I can see the form on the front of the book, in fact I also had the book for christmas and took the simple form from the middle of the book as inspiration but lost the plot along the way :oops:

I can say that putting just the base of the urn against most of my other pieces which I thought previously to be good actually makes them look clumsy. I think there is a lot to be gained from using the classic forms, I just need to improve the copy method, perhaps actually take the book to the lathe for a start :mrgreen:

Tony

Alli":7ffe5koj said:
I really like it. If your not happy with the pyramid at the top, does the piece actually need it? I put a thumb over that part of the picture and it looks really good.
Cheers
David

Good advice David, and simple to implement.
I can see your going to be useful here :D

nev":3lkplhji said:
+1 for sapele on the bottom
+1 for no idea on the top :)
I'd keep the same shape just thin it out a bit. lovely finish by the way =D>

Hi Nev
Thanks, my finish came on leaps and bounds since getting hold of the Chestnut mops, this is just 80-400 grit and all three mops and compounds, no sander sealer as the wood was quite hard.

Tony

=Adam=":3co6h6e2 said:
That is a very nice piece of work!

I would have to agree and say that it is Sapele on the bottom, we use a lot of this in work and it looks almost identical.

What will you be using this for?

Thanks Adam, it is suprising how fast you can get up this learning curve from step zero and start producing quite moderate pieces.
Its just this last step ten thats the hard part (hammer)

Its not going to be used for anything unfortunatly or maybe fortunatly :D
It is just a stab at a different form, I continualy try different forms and techniques since starting to turn some six or seven months ago.

Tony

Been back on the lathe for a short while, the most upper piece is now a ball which is what originally intended but was to scared :D Quite pleased with my first ball job :mrgreen:

The next part down got reduced in size, probably still a little large but during the reduction I accidentally ended up with a Jupiter ring which I thought to keep.

I think I will flatten out the lower curve which rises from the rim along with reducing the diameter of the vertical part it flows into.

Oh and it needs to go through the grits and have a polish of course.

004-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

002-4.jpg

During the week its color changed from dark brown to purple, in the picture below the outer part has not been turned and keeps its purple color.
Does this help with wood ID?

006-3.jpg

Comments please.
Many thanks Tony

Latest posts

Back