How can I opt out of this Google spyware?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how I can set my browser to opt out of this impingement by Google, which/who is going to spy on my online shopping activity? :evil:

You could consider using other search engines than Google but few are as good to be honest and you will have been getting targetted adverts anyway based on your search history.
Don't use Chrome or Gmail or youtube - the latter is a bit difficult with so many links pointing there.
Go through the privacy options of googleware that you do use and switch off everything you can.
Don't panic!

hth

Bob

Does it really matter? It's mainly about targeted advertisements as it's has been for years. More is known about your buying habits if you use any of the supermarket "loyalty" cards.

1 It only matters if you have a Google account. (You may have created one if you use Gmail, or have uploaded to YouTube, or shared photos with Picasa, or used Blogger, or several other Google services.)
2 Google will only link what you do on-line to your Google profile while you are signed in to your account. The key step is to know whether you are signed in or not.
3 While you are logged in Google will record and analyse where you browse and where you search. You can opt out of creating such a web history if you wish.
4 Records and analysis used to be in separate silos for the various services; now they are joined up, so if you watch lots of woodwork-related YouTube videos, you may find you get more woodwork-related ads when reading your Gmail.

Giving away personal information is the price we pay for "free" services.

Seems I was confusing it with these 'pop-up' ads that appear whenever I've been shopping. I understood there was a way of setting a browser to prohibit or block these scrolling adverts. It doesn't worry me from the point of view of knowing what's available, but when I buy something, I don't want ads for the same thing continually scrolling up the side of the browser!

Oh well. Progress has a price I suppose! :roll:

As far as adverts are concerned if you use Firefox browser and adblock-plus and popup blockers you'll see very few adverts. Well at least on my system I see very few indeed.

Google is a good search engine and I like google chrome.

I think this may back fire on them as people will be more suspect of using all their products and having a google account.

If you use Bing Bill Gates is watching you so it does not make a real difference in my book.

The main concern I have is that by linking everything together are they going to make it easier for the hackers, FBI and CIA to obtain you personal information.

But at then end of the day if you are online and buying stuff over the net your details are out there anyway.

Tom

I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. As has been said above your preferences will only be stored while you are signed into a Google service (otherwise I don't suppose they know it's you).

Plus, we see adverts all over the web. I'd much rather see add for things I'm interested in than all the random stuff that often appears. Imagine if the TV did the same and we only saw add for woodworking tools etc :)

regards

Brian

Search and install Ghostery, you will be amazed how may things are checking / monitoring your browsing.

here

RogerP":3vifimqa said:
As far as adverts are concerned if you use Firefox browser and adblock-plus and popup blockers you'll see very few adverts. Well at least on my system I see very few indeed.

I don't seem to get any either :)

Thanks folks for the replies.

I get this mostly when I go on the tube to watch videos. (I was splitting my sides only this morning, watching Max Wall! And John Cleese thinks he can do funny walks? :lol: :lol: :lol: )

So I think when I go onto YouTube for entertainment, in future! I won't sign-in.

Thanks again folks.
:)

I have Collusion installed in Firefox which shows what other web sites my current web site, UKWorkshop, is linking to.

Currently UKW is linking to Doubleclick.net, atdmt.com, turn.com and flashtalking.com

BTW, I'm not logged into any Google accounts and I don't have Chrome installed.

I installed Ghostery and that's telling me that it's blocked the following trackers tracking on UKWS:

Google adsense
Google analytics
OpenX

Steve

John,

I don't see any adds on UKWS or any other sites as I use Firefox with adblock plus installed, all ghostery does is stop people tracking your movements, depending on what you've selected on install. Perhaps someone more computer literate could explain it a bit better than me.

Cheers

Steve :)

Back