How can i make one of these? What tools would i need?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys i didn't really explain what my bo will be used for. I'm only using a bo for tournament purposes in which i will make a kata (form) so there will be no actual contact with the bo hitting anything (Unless i drop it!) So i want to be able to make it out of quite light wood. Oak is really heavy so i need something much lighter. So Could i just buy 1" diameter dowling and then try to somehow taper it by using the octagonal sanding method and just keep sanding down the corners? Would that work at all?

would i still be able to get it evenly balanced and close to perfectly rounded? Do they sell dowling made from different kind of woods?

You'd have to take it fairly slowly, but that'll happen anyway using abrasives, and check it often as you get closer to the finished result, but I don't see why not. As for the dowelling, the most common stuff is usually ramin IIRC, which is pretty light. Axminster has beech dowelling, but I'm not sure whether thay can supply long enough lengths. Or as others suggested, how about a broom handle?

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back