How can I fix my desktop display?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverbirch

Established Member
Reaction score
I like to change my desktop display from time to time, when I come across a picture I like (usually a piece of woodturning). This time, I tried to use an image from a website and ended up with the home page of the website itself on my desktop.(Don`t ask me how :roll: ) I`ve tried all the options via control panel/display, but I just can`t see any way to remove it . I`m using Windows XP and Firefox. Any ideas?

Ian

right click on screen in menu left click on personalise left click on desktop background pick picture from wherever double click and close
all the best
rob

Hi Rob,
Thanks for your help, but there`s no "personalise " option when I bring up the menu from the screen. I`ve tried choosing other pictures via control panel, but you can just see the edges of them as they appear to sit behind the unwanted image.

Ian

sorry ian cant help any further i change mine regularly and thats how i do it
hope you get it sorted
all the best
rob

Hi Ian

I dont know about firefox but that shouldn't make any difference anyway.

It's a while since I used XP though I still have it on a machine somewhere but from memory the "personalise" option is from Vista and win7. Rob was nearly right though as you right click the screen and choose properties then one of the tabs gives you the option of choosing any of the standard win pics or the pics in your docs / pics folder (use the browse tool if not listed). You'll see the current pic in the top box.
The best format is to have the pics as jpeg format as it's a compressed file and is quick for the system to load, and give the pics names as they are easier to track.
If you can't download a pic directly of the net you can right click on it and choose save as a picture, (assuming it isn't copy protected). If in the wrong format once downloaded, open in paint, photoshop or similar and save as jpeg.

Might not be % accurate but hope it helps

Bob

I might be way off here, but is this possible that 'Active Desktop' (I think that's the name of the feature) has been inadvertently activated ?

Hi Bob
Thanks. your suggestion works when I switch screen and log in as a different user, but when I right click on my own screen, the only tab which shows relates to the properties of the screen I can`t get rid of and gives no options to change anything.
Not sure about your suggestion, Lee. I`ll look into it.

Ian

yep personalise is vista properties is the one. another option is pick a picture right click on it and choose set as background from your menu
fingers crossed for you
all the best
rob

Hi Ian

Brain isn't fully in gear tonight but I've been thinking about your problem. I won't sleep tonight now :lol: :lol:

There were a number of things we used to do to stop the students messing up the computers which included replacing the screen displays with naked women :lol: To stop this, I would prevent changing wallpaper and disable the screensaver. I don't know if it's your problem but can be caused by maleware or a virus. Worth a look though as follows :-

Go to run - type gpedit.msc then ENTER
Expand User configuration - Administrative tools - Control Panel - Display, then look to the right side of this page and click on "prevent changing wallpaper" then make sure it is listed as "not configured" If so then it isn't your problem. If it is "enabled" then change it to not configured.
If you click on prevent changing wallpaper it should give a list of what it does.

This is from memory so might not be 100 % accurate but should be very close. If it does work, I suggest you do a full intivirus scan.

Cheers

Bob - edit - forgot - make sure you are logged in as administrator

Sorted at last!
Lee gets the prize for being closest. =D> It was indeed something to do with the Active desktop Interface setting. :?
Thanks to you all for your help.
I`ll be more careful what I fiddle about with in future :oops:

Ian

Glad it's sorted Ian

The more problems you have and manage to sort, the more you learn and more confident you become when the next little hiccup comes along. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back