How can I find someone to produce a chair designed by me?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding Betty Norbury. I met her at the Cheltenham show and she collared me for carrying a camera. Fair Do's I knew I shouldn't have had it and was trying it on. After that she was very kind and polite, but you could tell she was not a woman to be messed with. I didn't find her snooty or unwelcoming and my wife and I were both 'denim clad' and as you all know, I don't wear my hair long. Betty even held my daughter and carried her around for a minute or two while my wife grabbed something from the car. I told her from the outset that I was a woodworker and it didn't alter her mood towards me.

I was there 2yrs ago and we were allowed to touch and 'inspect the drawers'. None of the makers where there at the time, so I can't comment on them. I was annoyed at the no photos regime, that's ludicrous in my eyes. Completely pointless.

That said, I do understand where Patrick and Brad are coming from. The Designer Maker world is changing. These people need to diversify or die. I also think more 'ordinary' people are seeing the benefit of custom made furniture and makers need to realise this and start appealing to them.

I've nothing against the DMOU, if you are a good maker then you don't need to be in a special society. But there's nothing wrong with having a society. I just don't see the need for anyone to get hung up on the fact that one exists.

BradNaylor":p38tfkx0 said:
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.

Groucho Marx

I'll let you join my gang Brad, very exclusive, mind you I think your too old and "big boned" to do the initiation ceremony.

I first met Betty Norbury 28 years ago, and she gave me a bollocking. Glad to see she hasn't compomised her integrity since.

Mreagleeyes":2f6mylf4 said:
I'm still awaiting to know what the DMOU do for the new designers out there and what relevance having a contact in the Goverment has to do with anything.

Patrick, I did provide a response for you to both those questions earlier in the thread. True, I didn't go into a lot of detail, but I did say that those new furniture designers and makers that join can exhibit their work with more established members of DMOU. They may also participate in the discussions that take place, attend meetings, conferences, etc, as other members of DMOU can. I don't think I need to elaborate much on the lobbying activities I mentioned earlier that DMOU members undertake: I will just add that lobbying by a wide range of British industry and other bodies goes on at all levels and with all sorts of representatives in a broad range of influential people and organisations, including government bodies.

In the end of course change (or not) comes from within an organisation, and in that DMOU is no different to any other. Its raison d'etre is formulated by the membership and changed by the members if it's deemed necessary and right. Change may be initiated by external or internal factors, but in the end, as I said, it's the members that effect any change of any sort, whether it be membership criteria, its range of activities, the support it offers to members, etc.

As a non-member you have a very limited chance of causing DMOU to change to suit your wants or needs. Like all professional organisations, representative bodies, and clubs, potential members need to meet specific criteria to be accepted. Doctors have to train and qualify as doctors before thay can join the BMA; teachers have to train and qualify as teachers before they can join the IfL, etc. DMOU is really pretty relaxed about its membership criteria compared to some organisations, and the members produce a wide range of furniture using a wide range of influences, construction methods and materials. The criteria are that applicants are:

"•professional
•designer-makers (not just one or the other)
•concentrating on furniture or very similar discipline
•working on a small scale
•working to very high standards"

(Source: http://www.designermakers.org.uk/AboutUs.html)

I appreciate that you felt you had a bad experience at Cheltenham some time ago, although it's important to note that DMOU does not organise that event and never has. It's true that many exhibitors are DMOU members, although that's not a criteria for exhibiting. I do think you are rather jumping to conclusions about the nature and personality of all DMOU members because of how you felt you were treated. Most of the DMOU members that I know personally are as helpful as they can be and supportive of fellow designer makers, and similarly helpful to new or potential furniture designer makers. Of course members of DMOU share all the personality traits that are found in any mix of the world's population. They have good days and bad days; some are naturally poor mixers and poor talkers, and some are outgoing, gregarious and generous. Others are secretive and suspicious and others are ambitious and ruthless, etc.

If you build up a portfolio of work, which you may already have done, although that is hard to tell from your website, you could even apply and join DMOU. Then you could work from within to make the changes you think are necessary. That might be a better option for you than complaining from the outside. After all, membership of DMOU costs nothing financially, and if you find you don't like it you can always withdraw. Slainte.

Well! I didn't realise my innocent comment about the DMOU would raise such a curfuffle (?). In fact I've not looked at this thread since then.

I think there is some misunderstanding about the DMOU. It's not a "Society". It's a loosely knit network based around the website, arising from an original idea from Barnaby Scott of Waywood. The DMOU does not organise exhibitions, it has no hand in the staging of the Cheltenham exhibition or any other. Individuals may stage exhibitions, such as the recent Millinary Works exhibitions organised by Martin Grierson, using the DMOU as a way of communicating with makers.

Entry to the DMOU is not by invitation only. Any designer maker who thinks they fit the criteria can contact the DMOU asking for membership. Members then check out their work by looking at the applicant's web site, if there are no objections you're in. This may be a problem for mreagleeyes as his site is still developing. Some may say this procedure is elitist, but there must be some control on entry otherwise the organisation would lose it's identity.

I would suggest that the DMOU is in fact a ground breaking idea, an attempt to take the traditional trade "societies" into the internet age. Something eagleeyes "New designers" should welcome.

Finally (yes at last) I have found the majority of designer makers to be very open and friendly. I for one would welcome anyone to visit my workshop and hope I would be able to spend time with them, providing I am not gluing up!. Alternatively eagleeyes could venture "up north" to the upcoming NCFM (the majority of whose members are also in the DMOU) exhibition where he will get a warm welcome.

Chris

I'm exhibiting at Celebration of Craftsmanship and Design in Cheltenham at the moment. I sympathise with peoples' past negative experiences with the infamous Betty Norbury. I too have felt her wrath. But as far as this exhibition is now concerned, she is history.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am happy to talk to anyone about my work, no matter how they look. And I am really happy to talk about construction. I know that a lot of the other exhibitors will talk about techniques too: I picked up a few tips during the private view.

Of course we all want to sell our stuff; that's why we pay to exhibit there. It's all too easy feel ungenerous with your time when you're standing around all day. But please don't be put off from visiting. There are some extraordinary pieces on display, and some inspired craftspeople.

Dan

danielhuw":1hoqodos said:
I'm exhibiting at Celebration of Craftsmanship and Design in Cheltenham at the moment. There are some extraordinary pieces on display, and some inspired craftspeople.

Dan

There certainly are. I went last Sat and Monday, and am going back next Monday for the results of the chair competition. CCD should be compulsory viewing for anyone interested in contemporary furniture. We in the UK have some of the best craftsmen working anywhere in the world today, and some of them are at Cheltenham.

It's not entirely wood, either, there are a couple of jewellers and glass-makers, too.

If you have never been, please make the effort, you will be inspired.

Cheers
Inadequate Steve

danielhuw":2xpll5vf said:
I'm exhibiting at Celebration of Craftsmanship and Design in Cheltenham at the moment. I sympathise with peoples' past negative experiences with the infamous Betty Norbury. I too have felt her wrath. But as far as this exhibition is now concerned, she is history.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I am happy to talk to anyone about my work, no matter how they look. And I am really happy to talk about construction. I know that a lot of the other exhibitors will talk about techniques too: I picked up a few tips during the private view.

Of course we all want to sell our stuff; that's why we pay to exhibit there. It's all too easy feel ungenerous with your time when you're standing around all day. But please don't be put off from visiting. There are some extraordinary pieces on display, and some inspired craftspeople.

Dan

Dan - all the best mate, hope you have a top show!! (and productive).

Politeness costs nothing even if one is exhibiting (& paying for the privilege) and rather rushed off their feet (or not). What may seem as an "insignificant" today and may well be not so insignificant tomorrow. And the colour would really drain from a makers face in a few yrs time when he\she thinks they have a stonking commission only for the client to turn round to (or ring) a friend only for the friend to say - "such a rude twit - I wouldn't!"

Furniture makers, supply and demand, simple economics, unless you manage to come up with the IPhone version of some type of furniture - you need punters. And they don't all come with "Oh yahh" type of accents and walk in Jimmy Choo or Churchills\Lobb - but then again how many people would know them if they saw them being worn.

Please - I'm not in any way having a go at anyone nor suggesting makers (certainly not the ones on here) are snooty, etc.! It's probably a round about way of saying that unless your order books are bulging and you have a waiting list of yrs, all makers needs punters and punters don't mind being treated with politeness and most don't have punter inked on their foreheads either.

Dibs

p.s. Who's this Betty person?

Poor cutu, having his seemingly innocent and reasonable request completely hijacked by a whole other conversation.

Cutu, I'm not in a position to help you directly, but I fear this might not be the correct avenue - as the guys on here tend to expect (quite rightly of course) to earn a reasonable reward for the work they do, so wouldn't class anything they made as a prototype.

Another avenue to explore - have you tried contacting local colleges that run carpentry/woodwork courses and seeing if any of their pupils would be interested in this type of work - bit of experience for them, bit less cost for you? Also, you could possibly speak to the tutors and see if they would be willing to perhaps incorporate your design into their syllabus, as an item to be covered in class. Again, should be cheaper for you and gives students a "real life" example to work to.

I've no idea if colleges will accept this kind of thing, but perhaps worth asking.

Good luck

Alan

hivisvest72":3l40483q said:
Poor cutu, having his seemingly innocent and reasonable request completely hijacked by a whole other conversation.

Cutu, I'm not in a position to help you directly, but I fear this might not be the correct avenue - as the guys on here tend to expect (quite rightly of course) to earn a reasonable reward for the work they do, so wouldn't class anything they made as a prototype.

Another avenue to explore - have you tried contacting local colleges that run carpentry/woodwork courses and seeing if any of their pupils would be interested in this type of work - bit of experience for them, bit less cost for you? Also, you could possibly speak to the tutors and see if they would be willing to perhaps incorporate your design into their syllabus, as an item to be covered in class. Again, should be cheaper for you and gives students a "real life" example to work to.

I've no idea if colleges will accept this kind of thing, but perhaps worth asking.

Good luck

Alan

Interesting idea. Might be worth pursuing.

Probably take yrs to get moving & then take at least the length of a course to get one. Oh sorry - the college can't let you have it - Gov't property and all that. :lol::lol: Sorry just taking the water! :lol:

Back