How big is yours?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodPecker

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, I've nearly finished the house so I'll be moving in soon :D .
One of the first things I intend doing is to build a garage (Which will never see a car) I intend dividing it into 2 sections one section for a workshop and one for storage, I have pp for a 6.4M X 4.5M internal (21ft X 14ft8in), but couls extend the length. I was just wondering what's a practical size for a workshop? What size is yours and do you find that you manage OK or could you do with more space? I intend kitting it out with:

Bench
Table saw
Planer/thickneser
Bench drill
Bandsaw
Lathe
Dust extractor (Might put this in the storage area)
Possibly others.

I don't intend getting any form of combination machine except the planer/thicknesser.

Hi, I'd forget about the storage idea, if you do use half the area for storage, you'll soon starting thinking "Could do with more space"!!
As workshops begin to evolve space does seem to become a premium.
I'm only a couple of hours up the road from you so you're quite welcome to arrange a visit.

Rgds

Noel

Don't tools multiply to fill the space made available for them? Or put another what is large enough today will be too small tomorrow.

No matter how large (there are a few exceptions) I am sure we could all do with more space. I am sure Adam has most if not all the tools on your list in a workshop less than half the size of your proposal

Don't neglect the height.

I would certainly go with as large as possible.

Andy

There are many who'll tell you that's too small for a workshop. And there are others (say hello Adam:)) who do great work in spaces much smaller than that.

My humble space is just a bit smaller than yours (20x12 - cars were much smaller when mine was built) but I've got a row of old kitchen cabinets down most of one long side, two benches on the opposite wall, and those workshop essentials, the large fridge/freezer and washer/dryer, on the short wall opposite the garage doors. I've managed to fit a drill press, benchtop bandsaw, and a combined planer/thicknesser in without too much trouble.

This leaves an open space of about 7x5 in which I can set up a couple of saw horses for cutting up sheet goods, sawing timber, and - with an old table top on the horses - an assembly table. I could probably accomodate either a small table saw or lathe but I like the space. I also discovered I hate noise and dust, but I still fall prey to a longing for a table saw at regular intervals.

But this book, Small Woodworking Shops has a great garage workshop design that I wish I'd seen before I started on my shop. It accomodates just about everything on your list and still looks pretty spacious (I'm pretty sure it's the one pictured on the book cover). Recommended!

I'm sure you'll get lots more advice :)

Hi Adrian

I've got all the tools you've listed in my 8' x 18' workshop except I don't have a lathe (but I do have a couple of scrollsaws). It's a bit cramped, but that's largely due to having extensions on the table saw. You should be able to fit everything you've described quite happily into 21' x 14'8".

Gill

Tools are not the problem. It is assembly and particularly finishing that eat up space. My dream is to have a separate finishing area. If using a slow drying finish needing several coats, you can be help up for days at a time if the process shares workshop space with your woodworking

I'm definitely with Chris on this. Finishing / construction space is the problem for me.

My workshop is exactly the same size as your projected one and has all the same kit in it (exc lathe). As a workshop space I actually wouldn't want it to be any bigger - I'd end up walking miles every day otherwise BUT it is almost unworkable when furniture is being constructed.

Imagine building a kitchen in that space and then think about where you would be able to build it when its full of tools and you'll see what I mean. Even if you aren't going to be making kitchens, a dresser is still a big bit of kit to move around esp if you then need to make another part DAMHIKT.

If you can go for the extension then do so and designate it as a finish area. You won't regret it.

Oh and put your extractor in the storage area - keeps the dust and noise down and doesn't eat up more precious space.

Cheers

Tim

Adrian

I also have all the tools you mention in my shop, the dimensions are 22' x 12'. Everything is on wheeled bases so that I can move these around as I see fit.

Is it big enough, I think so but there again everyone would like more space, but we have to do with what we have.

For cutting sheet material and some wood storage I use one of my other garages, this also doubles up as a finishing shop.

Workshop is about 8' x 16'
Have set up in it :-
Lathe
Drill press
Bandsaw
Chopsaw
Bench sander
Bench grinder

If I want to use the tablesaw or sliding compond mitre saw,I have to set them up outside :cry:

(Also have an outside bench under an 8' x 4' covered area,and have just built an 8' x 12' covered area for assembly/wood storage)

There is no such thing as "big enough" as far as workshops go - you always need more space :D

Andrew

In fact,here is the new covered assembly/storage area :-

Picture027.jpg

Andrew

My workshop is about 7 ft wide by 18 ft long, by 8 ft high with the option of moving my machine tools out in front of my workshop when handling large sheets of long timber, I have a PT, Band saw, Router table & Pillar drill taking up floor space with my dust extractor mounted high up, for ripping I have a Triton table saw (excellent space saving design). I also have a 24" Lathe and two narrow benches for sharpening systems. My Workshop bench is about 27" wide by 72" long.
I consider I have made the best possible use of the available space; large jobs either get assembled outside or at the other side of my bungalow under the carport.
Yes I am quite happy with my space, but I guess you will grow into what ever space you have available. I might add that this is the third remodel (and hopefully the last) I have made in 10 years to get every thing to fit.

Mike

My workshed is 14' by 8' - I find it way too small for any decent sized projects (really struggled recently with a blanket chest and front door). The width is the real restriction. As others have said it's assembly (and finishing) room that's the problem - I can fit my machinery in there quite easily (medium bandsaw, table saw, planer thicknesser, large router table, workbench, morticer, drill press). Plus you need space for wood storage too. Mine is mainly stored overhead - far from ideal.
If you will be able to use the width occasionaly you'll probably be ok - the double garage size sounds just about right ;)!.
Cheers
Gidon

Here's mine. Like others have said, it's fine until you actually make something, and width is much more precious than length. It used to be like this which was better for floor space, but I needed to get round to the back of the bench...

Cheers, Alf

One bit of advice I would give is that if you are having a pitched roof, try to avoid trusses.

They take away a whole lot of usable storage space which in turn takes away a whole lot of usable shop space.

Jeff

My workshop is roughly 6m x 5m with a 2.4m x 6m build area out the back and a 1m x 5m storage area to the side and at the front i have 2 deck areas for clamping up ( in the summer nice , under a gazebo in the winter) .
Ive only just added the build area at the back and i am so glad i did .
P.S did you get the screws ?

jason,

I didn't get them yet, the post office over here decided to have a dispute over having to do some work, it's sorted now but there is a backlog of mail. Thanks again.

Mdotflorida wrote:
One bit of advice I would give is that if you are having a pitched roof, try to avoid trusses.

Good advice this, I put a cut roof on the house and as a result i have a huge attic. Will do the same with the Garage.
I reckon I'll build it longer and a bit higher, I'll but in a loft for storage, and partition off a section for freezer and dust extractor etc with a seperate entrance.

Thanks for all the comments.

Back