How best to waterproof this please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caveman

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to make the good lady a wall hung planter for herbs. It'll be wood so how best to waterproof it? Multi coats of varnish or some sort of pond liner type membrane?

Attachments

• 512f2+PTZtL._AC_.jpg
    512f2+PTZtL._AC_.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 5
I'm going to make the good lady a wall hung planter for herbs. It'll be wood so how best to waterproof it? Multi coats of varnish or some sort of pond liner type membrane?
.......and don't forget to line the drain hole in the wood, or make the boxes without bases if you're going to line them with metal sheeting

It's a functional planter. I would just make it with treated wood and not bother with a liner. I use treated sarking for stuff like this. Get it really dry, sand the surface, then paint with outdoor paint. When you water the planters, it always overflows. They get 'grubby' very quickly.

I built this one earlier in the year - simple pine, then painted...
each trough was lined with a weed membrane type material stapled inside and then drainage holes created...
hasn't fallen to pieces yet! Comletely upright, but screwed through the garage to a bracing beam the other side!

2021-04-27 20.57.36.jpg

EPDM roofing rubber, see if anyone local has some offcuts, use a good quality contact adhesive - the rubber has a lifespan of plus 50 years.

Back