How best to strip 3 out of 4 paint layers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobblezard

1 step forward, 2 back, 2 forward - rest - repeat
Reaction score
So I have a little stand that was on my great grandmother's landing, for years it held toilet rolls and for a long time now it had my pillar drill on it. I always thought I would get round to doing something with it and recently decided to strip it as the mock wood paint effect had taken a real battering. Once I got stuck in I realised the paint effect was three layers brown - cream & green , but then a faint pattern showed and I gradually found this underneath (Pic1)
Obviously I damaged it not being aware it was there so decided to try and be more careful on the rest in case it repeated on the front and got this far (pics 2&3)
I then decided to stop and think about this having made a mess so far. I quite like the original paint and want to reveal as much of what remains whilst damaging it as little as possible. Is anyone aware of any techniques that may help?
Thanks for any ideas

Attachments

• IMG_20220609_204050.jpg
    IMG_20220609_204050.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220609_204243.jpg
    IMG_20220609_204243.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220609_204255.jpg
    IMG_20220609_204255.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 0
I think a furniture restorer would have the right information for you , I guess you’ve used paint stripper of some kind - maybe a not so aggressive type and remove it sooner than recommended with a 00 grade wire wool and neutralise with water . I half recall a program where the fumes from super glue was used but that may have been to dissolve old glue . Personally I think it will take you a long time but good luck as the green is quite nice and worth saving if at all possible.

Well that is crazy, why anyone would cover up the good bit with the nasty brown I don`t know. I guess fashion, like people now painting nice mid century modern teak with chalk paint and scuffing it on purpose. it looks at first like you were stripping the other bit to reveal the brown.
I can`t advise much about it but perhaps test different solvents on the underside, hopefully the paint on the top layer will be a different base than the stuff underneath and with the right stuff you could dissolve only the top layer.

You seem to be doing ok so far with whatever method you are doing though.

Ollie

Thanks for the replies. Yes that's roughly what I was doing using a solvent based stripper, for a short time and gently working at it with wire wool before sluicing it down.(at least after I stopped attacking the top with a scraper). I can't see a way of doing it mechanically.
Ill try some different solvents but meths didn't have much impact. The brown and cream paint is easy to remove but the solid green layer directly over the pattern is hard and chalky making it slow going.
I think I'll just be working in very small sections at a time.
I'm glad you like it, I was struggling to work out whether it was just a bit naff and I should do away with it all but I think I do like it and should at least try properly to reveal someone's work after so many years.
If there is anyone with restoration knowledge that might offer any hacks they would be gratefully received

Back