How accurate are they?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freetochat

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know whether it is just me, but when I read tool reviews and tests in woodworking magazines, the reports always seem to be positive. Are the reports of an accurate test, or little more than an advertsing feature?

INCOMING!

Run for shelter, last one to the bunker gets it :wink:

Erm, to answer your question - this is a subject of much heated debate, as a quick search will probably show you. In general people are divided into those who believe that advertisers get favourable reviews in mags (intentionally or unintentionally) and those who feel reviews are impartial. At the end of the day a review is just that - one persons view of a selection of tools. Reviews are generally not exhaustive, and are targeted at a particular range of similar tools. Provided you bear in mind that reviews are an indicator and not gospel then you should be OK. As a rule of thumb its always best to look at tools in the flesh, and use reviews as a guide. Perhaps take the top 3 from a review and compare them yourself. If thats not possible then try and read a selection of reviews for a broarder viewpoint.

I tend to use reviews as a starting point for further research rather than the final arbitor for tool buying :D

Steve.

StevieB":2uz598rt said:
INCOMING!

Run for shelter, last one to the bunker gets it :wink:

Not me, I'm safely settled inside. :lol:

Adam

That is why you should look at the readers/user reviews, like people who have bouhgt it and then given an honest review. (see them a lot on amazon type websites)

Its true what you are saying. people who write for those magazines, normally get the tools or products free to test, and then to write there article - so your question stands - how accurate are they

McLuma

people who write for those magazines, normally get the tools or products free to test, and then to write there article

The tools supplied to our magazine are on loan basis only for the purpose of the test and are returned.

Andy (who doesn't want to get dragged into a discussion like the one from a year or so ago! 8-[

Don't worry, Andy - I'm keeping out of this one ;) :) !

Tin+hat+smiley.gif

Gill

Latest posts

Back