Household vacuum cleaner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
Given that there are loads of posts and threads about DX when it relates to woodworking, I am wondering if anyone can recommend an excellent vacuum cleaner for the house. Ours has just about had it after four years.

Please don't suggest a Dyson, we have been through three and returned them all. We need one that can handle dog hair!

Cheers

Tim

Hi Tim

As the owner of two long coat chihuahuas and an alsation, I have no hesitation in recommending a vacuum cleaner that deals happily with pet hairs and is durable. Theseusers seem to like it too.

What's that? You don't want a Dyson? I've also had problems with lesser models, but the DC14 really is the business.

Gill

I used a clients Miele "cat & dog" vacuum the other day, very powerful, almost sucked the carpet up :D

Jason

I have a 6yr old Dyson (not sure the model), bought it when I first moved out on my own. It's been great. Sorts out the dog hairs no problems and has never broken down. It's the one thing the missus hasn't changed since we've been together.... Don't get her started on the iron tho! :roll: :lol:

jasonB":s3guiqrt said:
I used a clients Miele "cat & dog" vacuum the other day, very powerful, almost sucked the carpet up :D

Jason

We've just bought one of these for the same reason - dog hairs. We had a Dyson and it gave up the ghost 2 months after the warranty ended.

Can't fault the Miele.....really powerful and it made light work of the dog hairs. And for some strange reason, our dog doesn't get spooked by the Miele. When the Dyson came out he used to bark at it even before it was turned on!

Cheers

Howard

Howjoe":24m48j6j said:
And for some strange reason, our dog doesn't get spooked by the Miele. When the Dyson came out he used to bark at it even before it was turned on!

Spooky. Exactly same thing happens with my dog. She rarely barks but goes mad for the Dyson.

Ever since seeing row upon row of working, but dumped, Dysons at the local "Household Waste Recycling Centre", and a derth of more pedestrian vacuums, I've had absolutely no desire for a Dyson at all. Kitty, TPTBs angel of vacuuming mercy and all-round vacuum cleaner afficianado, has fallen for the Axminster AR200 (aka "Henry"). Even to the point of dusting it more often than she does the shelves. :roll: It's not beautiful and it's not revolutionary, but it sucketh mightily. And is, I believe, made in Britain and almost always on offer. Huzzah. FWIW.

Cheers, Alf

Ahh, you need to get your hands on a Dyson from the *golden era.

They work fine.

*After they ironed out the initial faults whilst still producing them in Britain, but pre-moving to China where all the costs were cut.

I'm sure I heard from someone at Which? that they are either terrible, with no end of problems, or completely hassle free without a single fault for years - and nothing inbetween. Fortunately for us, we only paid £60 for ours when Dyson moved production to China and they sold off all their excess stock through the employees really cheap - and a mate at works brother rang up and asked if anyone wanted one - at that price - yes please - and it's been perfect ever since!!! :lol:

Adam

We've had a Dyson DC04 for nearly 6 years and that copes with all the dog and cat hairs quite easily - even when when had 2 shaggy dogs the were no problems.

Now my brothers dc01 was always clogged up every year at christmas time when I tried to use it - almost like they waited for me to arrive and unblock it for them...

We also have the Miele 'cat and dog' - brilliant machine. It has the added advantage that is is small and can be hidden away when not in use, unlike those huge purple and yellow upright things.... :lol:

Thanks for all the advice. I shall investigate the Miele and the Henry (forgotten about those - my folks had one for ages).

Dyson get no look in - had their chance. If you have a working Dyson that you are happy with, then lucky you but to paraphrase their ad line to illustrate our experience: couldn't pick up anything, not a sausage.

Cheers

Tim

Sebo. Buy a Sebo!

Go in to any branch of John Lewis and ask them to recommend their best vacumn cleaner. They use a lot of the industrial versions to clean their branches.

I've had two Sebo's (one left behind with an ex), bought one for my mother, my mother-in-law uses one - absolutely no complaints and I guarantee you'll love the design.

Also... I've got a Henry too. Great for clearing up after doing work in the house (saw dust, shavings, etc); however, does not touch the Sebo when it comes to getting the carpets really clean.

Here: http://www.sebo.co.uk/

Just replaced the Dyson (quality just isn't there these days) with the Henry Extra.
Unbelievable difference. Comes with an Aero brush that has a rotating brush and there is so much suction that it actually sticks to the carpet.

And you get a free Henry shopping bag :p .

Well in the end I got the Miele TT200o solution which is the newer version and now John Lewis' best seller.

Don't know how good it is - my wife hasn't turned it on yet. Hahahahahahhaahahaha :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: (homer) (homer) (homer)

T

Latest posts

Back