House sign project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about a design for a house sign for some friends, and came up with the below. I will use my 3D pantograph for the sign itself, but the question is, will I be okay scrollsawing the dog out of say 10mm oak, given that it will be outside exposed to the elements. Any other ideas? I suppose I could scroll it out of sheet aluminium and paint black or something.

sign.jpg

Si.

Attachments

• sign.jpg
    sign.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 375
European or English (not white American) oak is very durable and without any finish will last for ages out in the elements - turns a silvery grey colour.

Thanks guys.

Here is the sign I just made using my 3D pantograph...

2e116e69.jpg

Very happy with the results. Couldn't really have done any better with a CNC.

Si.

That has worked really well, regarding the timber as others say oak will always tend to darken due to the spores within the wood.

With thyat said though I made a noticeboard on European oak about two years ago and finished it with a thick coat of Acid Cat Gloss lacquer and drove past it the other day and it still looks like new! Good gloss finish and natural oak colour.

HTH

Rog

Bye the way - What has the Dog just done?? #-o

No, and it's nowhere near the stump either... It's much closer to where I live than you. :D

The client has now decided he wants a design incorporating hares, rather than the dog I proposed. :roll:

Si.

Looks great Knappers, a CNC would do it no better than that. The only downside to it is that knot by the L, could you drill that out and replace with a plug to make it less visible?

To be honest, it was just a bit of old scrap I had lying around, and was intended more as a test piece, but I think the Knott gives it a bit of character, and the client seems happy.

Si

That is an impressive result from the pantograph Knappers. What sort of scaling did you use, sorry I mean how much larger is the result than the pattern?
xy

xy mosian":2gwyoxp3 said:
That is an impressive result from the pantograph Knappers. What sort of scaling did you use, sorry I mean how much larger is the result than the pattern?
xy

That's using 1/2 scale. The template letters are about 12cm (incl. drop of "g").

Si.

Anybody got any suggestions for hooks / eyes / chain I might use to hang this sign? I'm afraid standard steel will blacken the wood.

Oh, I put some finish on it BTW - BLO and black gloss.

fb206bf0.jpg

Si.

Just made the top for it, but I REALLY wish I hadn't chosen the 3mm aluminium... Two dozen scroll saw blades later, most of which were reused in a hand jewellers scroll saw whenever they broke. Took bloody hours!! Will use thinner sheet next time.

8c90e742.jpg

Excuse the Guiness mug (it is St. Patrick's day!!)

Si

Latest posts

Back