House deeds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've just finished paying for my house :D but now I'm wondering where is the best place to store the deeds ? bank, solicitors ?

I just wondered where most people keep theirs.

Thanks

Davon

I kept a mortgage of £1, rather than paying off the whole mortgage, on the advice of my building society. They do not charge interest on this outstanding sum, but retain the deeds, again at no charge. Seems to work for me, anyway.

Mine are at home! The last Building Society (BS) didn't want them but explained that as long as your entry on the Land Registry (LR) was correct then you didn't really need the deeds.
I checked with LR and found out that the BS had forgotten to let LR know that they no longer had an interest in my property.
At my prompting, BS wrote and the LR record was corrected. I got a copy of this for my own records to show that it was correct at a certain date.

Land Registry Site

David

toysandboats":2bzix613 said:
Mine are at home! as long as your entry on the Land Registry (LR) was correct then you didn't really need the deeds. David

Me too

Kept in a small fireproof safe for a number of years now along with birth, marriage certs etc. . Might not be needed but it is satisfying to have them.

Bob

Thanks for the replies, I Googled land registry and read that you can acquire copies at any time ( for a price of course )

so I think I will scan and copy to cd and store them at home.

Davon

Good question! It's been so long I really can't remember ... I must consult the better-half and hope she knows what happened to them :oops:

Davon":k4tvtmc8 said:

Recordable CDs don't have a particularly long lifespan. I was shocked and dissapointed to find they can start to degrade in as little as three years.

monkeybiter":9hjs9clw said:
Davon":9hjs9clw said:

Recordable CDs don't have a particularly long lifespan. I was shocked and dissapointed to find they can start to degrade in as little as three years.

That's true but if good quality cds are used and stored away in a sleeve cool, dry and preferably dark, they can last for a very long time. I have cds recorded more than 15 years ago which are perfectly readable. (That was when my Sony recorder was x2 speed and cost £300 and you could expect 20% failure :roll: ).
How times have changed :lol:

Bob

Back