House Clearing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James C

Established Member
Reaction score
Helped my family clear out a few rooms of an elderly relatives house this weekend. A lot of stuff going to charity but unfortunately a lot of water damaged items from a leak ending up in a skip.

I did find this hanging from a pulley mounted on the underside of the garage roof, quite precariously with very old string.

photo (1).JPG

I think I might have enjoyed playing with it a bit too much, just need to convince SWIMBO that we "need" one.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 1,192
Keep it and use it! A thousand times better than a strimmer - I just wish we had enough garden to swing one in!

Have a read on http://www.scytheconnection.com/ if you need any more convincing - you can watch videos and learn which way up to hold it as well! :lol:

I don't think the landlord or my fellow residents would take to kindly for me swinging this about the communal gardens :p

I have bad memories of scythes! When I was about 6 or 7 my older brother (7 years older than me) was cutting grass with one of those and I got a bit too close. Cue lots of blood, crying and trip to doctors. Still have a lovely scar about 40 mm x 15 mm below my left knee.

So be careful if you use one of these and beware of people in the vicinity!!!

I remember an Antiques Roadshow decades ago that featured a scythe boot, made of wood. It was open on the 'safe' side, worn on the foot nearest the scythe. I've not seen one since. Googling didn't turn up any pictures, sadly, so they must have been pretty uncommon.

That said, you really need a black cloak with a large hood :)

Eric The Viking":1mic7xwl said:
I remember an Antiques Roadshow decades ago that featured a scythe boot, made of wood. It was open on the 'safe' side, worn on the foot nearest the scythe. I've not seen one since. Googling didn't turn up any pictures, sadly, so they must have been pretty uncommon.

That said, you really need a black cloak with a large hood :)

I think the clunk clunk of my Scythe Boot coupled with the ensemble you suggested might put some of my older neigbours over the edge. So maybe not the best idea. :D

Back