House and Contents Insurance including workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
It’s that time of year for me when I need to renew my house insurance. I have been with M&S for the last 3 years as they’re the only policy I’ve found so far that includes, as standard, a large cover for theft from outbuildings of £100k. This nicely covers my workshop but the price has been creeping up by £50 each year.

I’ve just spent the last 2 hours failing to find another company that will cover outbuildings at a reasonable level.

NFU will provide insurance but their quote is 50% more than M&S

How do others insure their home workshop and other outbuilding contents?

Thanks

Richard

I recently changed to Saga Home Insurance. Their policy covers theft up to the value insured from any part of the premises i.e. no fixed limit on cover for theft from outbuildings - as long as the sum insured is a adequate. The quotation was around the average that I was getting from my enquiries (but I wasn't looking for £100k worth of cover). Might be worth a call.

Thanks for the replies. I should point out that the 100k amount is just default level, I haven’t got 100k of tools, we’ll not yet!

I’ll try those other companies.

RichardG":gchlafhs said:
It’s that time of year for me when I need to renew my house insurance. I have been with M&S for the last 3 years as they’re the only policy I’ve found so far that includes, as standard, a large cover for theft from outbuildings of £100k. This nicely covers my workshop but the price has been creeping up by £50 each year.

I’ve just spent the last 2 hours failing to find another company that will cover outbuildings at a reasonable level.

:arrow: NFU will provide insurance but their quote is 50% more than M&S

How do others insure their home workshop and other outbuilding contents?

Thanks

Richard
Droogs":gchlafhs said:

:?:

seem to have gone up by a good bit then as they have alsways been resonable to me. But then not due to renew until August so will have to suck it an see at the time. sorry Rafe

Sorry Droogs it was a cheap shot I know - it was just my initial confused reaction :)

ah my bad not fully seeing what is written in from of me. The NFU part didn't even register in richard's post. Had a few tablets today #-o

Droogs":341blvh5 said:
ah my bad not fully seeing what is written in from of me. The NFU part didn't even register in richard's post. Had a few tablets today #-o
To be fair, my father in law will always recommend the nfu regardless of what anyone has said. They are often not the cheapest but they have a well earned reputation for dealing with the issues and claims when they come up.

So, having now checked with the suggested Saga and Tesco.

Tesco’s policy is not the best worded so makes you think the £100k contents cover can be in the outbuildings it is in fact capped at £5k.

The Saga policy is the same as M&S you get £100k contents cover which includes outbuildings. Their policy is also slightly better than M&S and is £30 cheaper for me. They also guarantee not to increase the price for 3years so it looks like they’ll get my business.

From my experience NFU is a great insurer, you get great personal contact and they do seem to payout if you’re covered. I stopped my insurance with them only because of the price.

Richard

Been all round the houses with this too. NFU chase me each year to quote, and each year they are easily 50% more expensive than the best quote from my Broker. We take the approach of itemising and providing photos of pretty much everything of significance so insurers have minimal wriggle room.

Latest posts

Back