Hours of confusion?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RogerS":369ttgfe said:
Jeepers...I'd forgotten just how much doodoo Labour had got us into. Sheesh...and Greece think they have a problem.

The colours attributed to countries are a rough guide to how much trouble each economy is in.

... according to that the UK is third least in trouble behind Japan and Germany and better than the US and all the rest.

Jonzjob":9hif5tk4 said:
I don't understand how any could possibly be confused 8)
So...

for example....

we owe America 500 BN Euros ish,

but....

they owe the UK 800 BN Euros ish,

so...

why not just say...

We owe them zilch,

They owe us 300 BN Euros ish

??

My head hurts.

RogerP":2ttorlid said:
RogerS":2ttorlid said:
Jeepers...I'd forgotten just how much doodoo Labour had got us into. Sheesh...and Greece think they have a problem.

The colours attributed to countries are a rough guide to how much trouble each economy is in.

... according to that the UK is third least in trouble behind Japan and Germany and better than the US and all the rest.

Nice try, Roger :wink:

Look at the amount of debt per person or virtually any of the other metrics in the top lh corner. The only country worse than us is Ireland!

.... okay, then you're saying they've made an error and the colour coding is wrong?

RogerS":n825hthw said:
Look at the amount of debt per person or virtually any of the other metrics in the top lh corner. The only country worse than us is Ireland!

But per-person debt doesn't really mean much, when different countries also have totally different GDPs and are owed totally different amounts by other countries. If the UK has to pay X every month to pay back its existing debt, it doesn't matter how much X is so long as it gets at least X paid back to it from the money other countries owe it.

The problem Greece has, if you click around that chart, is that basically nobody owes Greece any money at all, but they owe proportionally-speaking a lot of money to other countries. Portugal's in the same boat, and other 'risky' countries like Spain and Italy aren't owed so much as countries like the UK or US which are considered a low risk. Italy has a very similar population and fairly similar GDP to the UK, but look around that chart and it's owed a fraction of the amount the UK is by other countries.

Not to say that the UK is all happy and fine and there's no problem here - not by any means. Just that there are definitely countries worse off than ours - as the text alongside the chart says, the UK is considered a low risk because we have significant assets to balance our significant debts.

Agree with you 100% jake but my original premise (a valid one) was the amount of debt that the last Government left us as compared to the relatively balanced position that we were in when they first came to power.

RogerS":4d6zt4sm said:
Agree with you 100% jake but my original premise (a valid one) was the amount of debt that the last Government left us as compared to the relatively balanced position that we were in when they first came to power.

I s'pose it then depends one your definition of balance :)

Modernist":1j6g9ttd said:
RogerS":1j6g9ttd said:

I s'pose it then depends one your definition of balance :)

LOL....I know what you mean.

There is the view from the Right (that's Tony/Gordon on the left, BTW)

image001.jpg

and then the view from the Left !

rich_get_richer_seesaw19oct2010.jpg

Ok. I'm no politician (though I do know on which side of the fence I stand).

Everyone (almost) owes everyone (almost) a ton of money. Were all in the doggy-doo. Including the yanks. It's gonna take 20 years to get back to where we were before it all hit the fan (according to some of the reports I heard and didn't understand).

We all live on the same planet and we all want to go forward. Why can't we all just write it off. Forget it. Learn from it all and make sure it don't happen again. Greece and others won't have to collapse into the abyss and we wont all have to work till were 84 to pay off the debts we didn't create.

I know, I know, that's far too simplistic and there's a million reasons why it can't be done.

The whole thing P's me right off.

Roy

Latest posts

Back